Re: [orthodox-readers] Pectoral crosses (was Re: Tonsuring question)

  • Brian Fink
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 15, 2006
      The only time Im mistaken for a priest is during our Greekfest and even though I'm wearing slacks and a collared shirt, I do most of the tours. Since I wear this honking cross, I've had a number of people ask if Im the priest of the parish.

      Reader Chrysostom

      "Rdr. Vyacheslav" <off2port@...> wrote:
      Along the same lines, when I was tonsured, I was told to wear my
      cassock at services everywhere (i.e. every jurisdiction) except for at
      the Greek monastery nearest to us. The reason was that, when readers
      did wear their cassocks there, the nuns would often seek a blessing
      from readers because Greek priests often don't wear pectoral crosses.
      I think this also reiterates earlier posts saying that readers
      should not wear a cross on the outside of their cassock so as not to
      allow people to think they are priesets.

      Slavik

      --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "John Congdon"
      <subdeaconjhcc@...> wrote:

      > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Reader Andreas"
      > <anagnostis@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I believe the subdeacon is mistaken: all priests in the Byzantine
      > tradition
      > > wear a pectoral cross (in the US they are given a cross at the
      > ceremony of
      > > stavroforia while in seminary). As I understand things, the Slavs
      > require a
      > > priest to be an "archpriest" or at least have some years of service
      > before
      > > wearing a cross.
      > >
      > > It can be confusing at pan-Orthodox events when we think a Slavic
      > priest
      > > (without a cross) is only a deacon or minor cleric - and thus don't
      > > prostrate and ask for a blessing!
      > >
      > > In Christ,
      > > Andreas, Reader
      > >

      > From "These Truths We Hold":
      > "In addition, at ordination to the Priesthood, the Priest is given a
      > Pectoral Cross, symbolizing that he must confess the Cross of Christ
      > before all men as a Preacher of the faith. As further distinctions of
      > honor, a Priest may also be awarded a Gold Cross or a Jeweled one."
      > (http://www.stots.edu/article.php?id=63.)
      >
      > From the website of Holy Trinity Cathedral (OCA, San Francisco)
      > "The priest's cross (silver, then gold, and finally jeweled) is worn
      > in recent Russian tradition by all priests, but historically it was a
      > senior award of clergy as it still is in the Greek practice."
      > (http://www.holy-trinity.org/ecclesiology/sacramentofholyorders.html)
      >
      > As for the Greek/Byzantine practice of stavrophoria while in
      > seminary, from the website of Holy Cross Seminary:
      > "Formal recognition of seminarian status takes place in the fall
      > semester of the seminarian's second year at the ceremony of
      > stavroforia when a cross is presented to the seminarian after Great
      > Vespers of the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross."
      > (http://www.hellenic.hchc.edu/pages/studentlife/index.asp)
      > Keep in mind that "stavrophor" is typically a grade of monasticism,
      > not of the priesthood. This ceremony at HC appears to parallel the
      > monastic, especially since it seems to come BEFORE ordination.
      >
      > In the Antiochian Archdiocese, the awarding of the pectoral cross
      > appears to come at the elevation to Archpriest.
      > (See http://www.antiochian.org/1104724145)
      >
      > I like the "Mitred Archreader", though.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Sdn John

      ogion.htm

      ---------------------------------

    • Joel Thomas
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 26, 2006
        Our current and former priests here at St. Vincent of Lerins Antiochian Orthodox Church in Omaha, NE both have beards, as does our current deacon.

        Alex Langley <alangley99@...> wrote: Does Reader Andreas think he's seen a representative sample of
        OCA priests in the Diocese of the West from his own microcosmos?

        All of the father-confessors/parish priests I had while in the
        California (OCA DOW parishes) had beards. That makes four plus
        the two of Reader Andreas' knowledge.

        Southern California is a very large place. Take a road trip.

        As for Greek priests, Fr. Gary Kyriacou (St. Demetrios, Camarillo,
        CA) had a goatee at the time that his picture was taken for
        http://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/news/2006/0407/Faith/039.html
        Not a full beard. I'm pretty sure the same was the case for Fr.
        Constantine Zozos and Fr. Paul Paris.

        And finally, as for Antiochians, Fr. David Barr has a full beard
        (he had been in California for a while, but now is in Texas).
        You may see him in the picture at:
        https://www.iocc.org/giving/images/photoframe9_4_05a.gif
        (second from the left)

        Rdr. Alexander (not clean shaven)

        <anagnostis@...> wrote:

        > Please tell me a Greek Archdiocese proistamenos in Southern
        California who
        > does not have a beard. I live here, am Greek Orthodox, and have
        not met any
        > parish priests who are clean shaven. Prior to moving to So. Cal.,
        I lived in
        > the Metropolis of Atlanta, where the vast, vast majority of parish
        priests
        > had beards.
        >
        > Out of the approximately 18 OCA rectors I have met in the Diocese
        of the
        > South and Diocese of the West, only two had beards. I have never
        met, nor
        > even seen a picture of a current Antiochian parish priest with a
        beard (one
        > had a goatee).
        >
        > Christos Anesti!
        >
        > Reader Andreas