RE: [orthodox-readers] Tonsuring question

  • Brian Fink
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 14, 2006
      I dont wear my cassock except in church, and in 3 months I'll be up at Holy Cross working towards my M. Div. so I know new rules will apply. This was more just for curiousity sake at this point.

      Reader Chrysostom

      Theophan <theophan@...> wrote:
      Reader Chyrsostom wrote,

      Are you allowed to wear a cross on the outside of
      the cassock during the service? The cross necklace
      that I received from my sponsor when I was crismated
      is about 4" x 2" olive wood with a silver corpus
      with a brass nimbus (looks like rays of light).

      This may or may not be relevant, but I heard a heirodeacon say, once, that
      while traveling in certain areas abroad, he was told that it could have been
      dangerous to him to wear a black cassock without being clearly recognized as
      a Christian. Not being a priest, he couldn't wear a priest's cross, so he
      wore a wooden cross around his neck about the size of the one you describe,
      and everywhere he went, people came up to him to ask for a blessing he could
      not give because they thought he was a priest, which he was not, even though
      his cross was not silver, but wood.

      Probably there's a clear rule about whether this is allowed or not, that
      someone else on this list can and will give you, but if not, I'd be
      concerned about whether you could be perceived as "pretending" to be a
      priest, and I would definitely ask your priest for a specific answer on
      this, and if he isn't sure, ask your bishop.

      Theophan Dort

      ogion.htm

      Orthodox jewish single Orthodox jewish dating Reader Orthodox christian single Orthodox icon Orthodox dating

      ---------------------------------

    • Joel Thomas
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 26, 2006
        Our current and former priests here at St. Vincent of Lerins Antiochian Orthodox Church in Omaha, NE both have beards, as does our current deacon.

        Alex Langley <alangley99@...> wrote: Does Reader Andreas think he's seen a representative sample of
        OCA priests in the Diocese of the West from his own microcosmos?

        All of the father-confessors/parish priests I had while in the
        California (OCA DOW parishes) had beards. That makes four plus
        the two of Reader Andreas' knowledge.

        Southern California is a very large place. Take a road trip.

        As for Greek priests, Fr. Gary Kyriacou (St. Demetrios, Camarillo,
        CA) had a goatee at the time that his picture was taken for
        http://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/news/2006/0407/Faith/039.html
        Not a full beard. I'm pretty sure the same was the case for Fr.
        Constantine Zozos and Fr. Paul Paris.

        And finally, as for Antiochians, Fr. David Barr has a full beard
        (he had been in California for a while, but now is in Texas).
        You may see him in the picture at:
        https://www.iocc.org/giving/images/photoframe9_4_05a.gif
        (second from the left)

        Rdr. Alexander (not clean shaven)

        --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Reader Andreas"
        <anagnostis@...> wrote:

        > Please tell me a Greek Archdiocese proistamenos in Southern
        California who
        > does not have a beard. I live here, am Greek Orthodox, and have
        not met any
        > parish priests who are clean shaven. Prior to moving to So. Cal.,
        I lived in
        > the Metropolis of Atlanta, where the vast, vast majority of parish
        priests
        > had beards.
        >
        > Out of the approximately 18 OCA rectors I have met in the Diocese
        of the
        > South and Diocese of the West, only two had beards. I have never
        met, nor
        > even seen a picture of a current Antiochian parish priest with a
        beard (one
        > had a goatee).
        >
        > Christos Anesti!
        >
        > Reader Andreas