Re: Our Father Question

  • psaltisuk
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13 3:20 PM
      Dear Reader Vyacheslav,

      --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr. Vyacheslav"
      <off2port@...> wrote:

      > I have a couple of questions about reading the Our Father in church at
      > various services. Often after "deliver us from the evil one" the
      > priest is busy and cannot say "For Thine is the Kingdom..." For
      > example, the priest may be hearing confessions, or he sometimes he may
      > be occupied and just not hear that the Our Father has been said.
      >
      > First Question: What is proper to do in this situation when the
      > priest is not able to say "For Thine is the Kingdom..."? My STS
      > Horologion says that, in general, in the absence of a priest the
      > reader should say "Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, O Lord
      > Jesus Crhist our God, have mercy upon us. Amen." in place of "For
      > Thine is the Kingdom..." Is this what one would do? Or would you
      > just skip it and go on, as I have seen many times? I'm not quite sure
      > because in the situation I'm talking about, there is generally a
      > priest there, but he is just tied up. The Horologion instructions, on
      > the other hand, as I understand, are for services when there is no
      > priest present at all.

      ****That's correct. It would be anomalous for the reader to continue
      with "Through the prayers" if the hours (to which I presume you are
      referring) are begun *with* the priests's blessing. It should either
      be a reader's service or a service with the full participation of the
      priest: many priests will simply stop what they are doing (confessing,
      preparing the proskomide) in order to give the exclamation and then
      continue.

      However, it seems to me that if this is a regular occurrence, you
      should discuss it with your priest and do whatever he says.

      > Second Question: What is the reason "For Thine is the Kingdom..."
      > during the services appears to be reserved for priests only? Why
      > would you have someone who is not a priest say something different in
      > its place during a service without a priest?

      ****Only the priest (or Bishop) can give a blessing, or read this kind
      of exclamation - as at the ends of litanies, for example, which a
      deacon may read except for the opening and ending blessing and
      exclamation.

      Blessed Holy Week,

      In Christ,

      Ivan
    • Philip Silouan Thompson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13 4:00 PM
        Rdr. Vyacheslav wrote:
        > What is proper to do in this situation when the priest is not able
        > to say "For Thine is the Kingdom..."? My STS Horologion says that,
        > in general, in the absence of a priest the reader should say
        > "Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, O Lord Jesus Crhist our
        > God, have mercy upon us. Amen." in place of "For Thine is the
        > Kingdom..." Is this what one would do? Or would you just skip it
        > and go on, as I have seen many times? I'm not quite sure because
        > in the situation I'm talking about, there is generally a priest
        > there, but he is just tied up.

        I've seen that at St Herman Monastery: the reader stopped at the end
        of the prayer, waited a moment, and if the priest didn't come out and
        say "For Thine is the Kingdom" then the reader would add "Through the
        prayers..." and keep reading. That happened each time "Our Father"
        was read during the hours, while the priest was hearing confessions.

        But I wouldn't try that here at home. We stop and wait, and our
        priest will respond when he's ready.

        In Christ,

        Reader Silouan