Our Father Question

  • Rdr. Vyacheslav
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12 10:28 PM
      Hi fellow readers,

      I have a couple of questions about reading the Our Father in church at
      various services. Often after "deliver us from the evil one" the
      priest is busy and cannot say "For Thine is the Kingdom..." For
      example, the priest may be hearing confessions, or he sometimes he may
      be occupied and just not hear that the Our Father has been said.

      First Question: What is proper to do in this situation when the
      priest is not able to say "For Thine is the Kingdom..."? My STS
      Horologion says that, in general, in the absence of a priest the
      reader should say "Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, O Lord
      Jesus Crhist our God, have mercy upon us. Amen." in place of "For
      Thine is the Kingdom..." Is this what one would do? Or would you
      just skip it and go on, as I have seen many times? I'm not quite sure
      because in the situation I'm talking about, there is generally a
      priest there, but he is just tied up. The Horologion instructions, on
      the other hand, as I understand, are for services when there is no
      priest present at all.

      Second Question: What is the reason "For Thine is the Kingdom..."
      during the services appears to be reserved for priests only? Why
      would you have someone who is not a priest say something different in
      its place during a service without a priest?

      Spasibo Bolshoe!
      Rdr. Vyacheslav
    • psaltisuk
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13 3:20 PM
        Dear Reader Vyacheslav,

        --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr. Vyacheslav"
        <off2port@...> wrote:

        > I have a couple of questions about reading the Our Father in church at
        > various services. Often after "deliver us from the evil one" the
        > priest is busy and cannot say "For Thine is the Kingdom..." For
        > example, the priest may be hearing confessions, or he sometimes he may
        > be occupied and just not hear that the Our Father has been said.
        >
        > First Question: What is proper to do in this situation when the
        > priest is not able to say "For Thine is the Kingdom..."? My STS
        > Horologion says that, in general, in the absence of a priest the
        > reader should say "Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, O Lord
        > Jesus Crhist our God, have mercy upon us. Amen." in place of "For
        > Thine is the Kingdom..." Is this what one would do? Or would you
        > just skip it and go on, as I have seen many times? I'm not quite sure
        > because in the situation I'm talking about, there is generally a
        > priest there, but he is just tied up. The Horologion instructions, on
        > the other hand, as I understand, are for services when there is no
        > priest present at all.

        ****That's correct. It would be anomalous for the reader to continue
        with "Through the prayers" if the hours (to which I presume you are
        referring) are begun *with* the priests's blessing. It should either
        be a reader's service or a service with the full participation of the
        priest: many priests will simply stop what they are doing (confessing,
        preparing the proskomide) in order to give the exclamation and then
        continue.

        However, it seems to me that if this is a regular occurrence, you
        should discuss it with your priest and do whatever he says.

        > Second Question: What is the reason "For Thine is the Kingdom..."
        > during the services appears to be reserved for priests only? Why
        > would you have someone who is not a priest say something different in
        > its place during a service without a priest?

        ****Only the priest (or Bishop) can give a blessing, or read this kind
        of exclamation - as at the ends of litanies, for example, which a
        deacon may read except for the opening and ending blessing and
        exclamation.

        Blessed Holy Week,

        In Christ,

        Ivan
      • Philip Silouan Thompson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13 4:00 PM
          Rdr. Vyacheslav wrote:
          > What is proper to do in this situation when the priest is not able
          > to say "For Thine is the Kingdom..."? My STS Horologion says that,
          > in general, in the absence of a priest the reader should say
          > "Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, O Lord Jesus Crhist our
          > God, have mercy upon us. Amen." in place of "For Thine is the
          > Kingdom..." Is this what one would do? Or would you just skip it
          > and go on, as I have seen many times? I'm not quite sure because
          > in the situation I'm talking about, there is generally a priest
          > there, but he is just tied up.

          I've seen that at St Herman Monastery: the reader stopped at the end
          of the prayer, waited a moment, and if the priest didn't come out and
          say "For Thine is the Kingdom" then the reader would add "Through the
          prayers..." and keep reading. That happened each time "Our Father"
          was read during the hours, while the priest was hearing confessions.

          But I wouldn't try that here at home. We stop and wait, and our
          priest will respond when he's ready.

          In Christ,

          Reader Silouan