Re: [orthodox-readers] Tonsuring question

  • Joshua John Boyd
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 12, 2006
      Talmadge,

      When I was tonsured a reader about 3 years ago by Bishop Joseph of L.A. only
      a cassock was used--this is true for the multiple other tonsurings I have
      seen by other bishops in our Archdiocese. As far as I know it is not the
      custom of any of our bishops to tonsure a reader with the small phelonion or
      sticharion, and I have never seen an Antiochian reader donning either of
      these garments.

      In regard to the three prostrations, I do not recall exactly except that I
      think we pretty much followed the Hapgood service book. No doubt it may be
      different with different bishops, but for what it's worth the Hapgood does
      call for three prostrations saying, "He who is to be made a Taper-bearer is
      led by the Sub-Deacon into the centre of the Church, before the beginning of
      the Divine Liturgy, and there maketh three reverences: and turning, he
      saluteth the Bishop, thrice."

      Hope that helps.

      Sbdn. John Boyd

      On 4/4/06, Talmadge M. Porter <shirepancakes@...> wrote:

      > I have a question for my Antiochian brothers and sisters who have seen
      > the Tonsuring of a reader: is it our custom for a reader to have a
      > small phelonion for the tonsuring? I have also seen pictures of
      > readers in sticharions, is this the standard practice? I have seen
      > many readers not wearing them (just a cassock), or are they only for
      > the Tonsure, like the phelonion? Last, does the Antiochian candidate
      > do the three prostrations leading to the bishop, or is he simply
      > brought to the bishop?
      >
      > Thanks!

    • Joel Thomas
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 26, 2006
        Our current and former priests here at St. Vincent of Lerins Antiochian Orthodox Church in Omaha, NE both have beards, as does our current deacon.

        Alex Langley <alangley99@...> wrote: Does Reader Andreas think he's seen a representative sample of
        OCA priests in the Diocese of the West from his own microcosmos?

        All of the father-confessors/parish priests I had while in the
        California (OCA DOW parishes) had beards. That makes four plus
        the two of Reader Andreas' knowledge.

        Southern California is a very large place. Take a road trip.

        As for Greek priests, Fr. Gary Kyriacou (St. Demetrios, Camarillo,
        CA) had a goatee at the time that his picture was taken for
        http://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/news/2006/0407/Faith/039.html
        Not a full beard. I'm pretty sure the same was the case for Fr.
        Constantine Zozos and Fr. Paul Paris.

        And finally, as for Antiochians, Fr. David Barr has a full beard
        (he had been in California for a while, but now is in Texas).
        You may see him in the picture at:
        https://www.iocc.org/giving/images/photoframe9_4_05a.gif
        (second from the left)

        Rdr. Alexander (not clean shaven)

        --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Reader Andreas"
        <anagnostis@...> wrote:

        > Please tell me a Greek Archdiocese proistamenos in Southern
        California who
        > does not have a beard. I live here, am Greek Orthodox, and have
        not met any
        > parish priests who are clean shaven. Prior to moving to So. Cal.,
        I lived in
        > the Metropolis of Atlanta, where the vast, vast majority of parish
        priests
        > had beards.
        >
        > Out of the approximately 18 OCA rectors I have met in the Diocese
        of the
        > South and Diocese of the West, only two had beards. I have never
        met, nor
        > even seen a picture of a current Antiochian parish priest with a
        beard (one
        > had a goatee).
        >
        > Christos Anesti!
        >
        > Reader Andreas