Re: [orthodox-readers] Re: Responses in canons

  • Alexander Vallens
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
      Reader Alexander,

      Congratulations on your tonsuring! Axios!
      Sorry for the delay in response.

      The refrains to the canons on Sundays during the time of the Lenten Triodion should match the
      troparion that follows the refrain. So, naturally the refrain for the first canon will be:
      "Glory to Thy Holy Resurrection, O Lord!"
      then for the next canon:
      "Glory to Thy Precious Cross and Holy Resurrection, O Lord!"
      then for the Theotokos from the Octoechos:
      "Most Holy Theotokos, save us!"
      and then from the Triodion the typical refrain is:
      "Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me!"

      But, if there is a special commemoration (e.g. St. Gregory Palamas, Cross, St. Mary of Egypt, etc.),
      the refrain will match that (e.g. "Holy hierarch, Father Gregory, pray to God for us!", "Glory to Thy
      precious Cross, O Lord!", "Venerable Mother Mary, pray to God for us!", etc.).

      Hope this helps!
      With love in Christ,
      Dn. Alexander