7th Oecum. Synod - Canon XI -

  • polychrony
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      CANON XIV.

      That no one without ordination ought to read in the ambo during the
      synaxis.

      THAT there is a certain order established in the priesthood is very
      evident to all, and to guard diligently the promotions of the
      priesthood is well pleasing to God. Since therefore we see certain
      youths who have received the clerical tonsure, but who have not yet
      received ordination from the bishop, reading in the ambo during the
      Synaxis, and in doing this violating the canons, we forbid this to be
      done (from henceforth,) and let this prohibition be observed also
      amongst the monks. It is permitted to each hegumenos in his own
      monastery to ordain a reader, if he himself had received the laying on
      of hands by a bishop to the dignity of hegumenos, and is known to be a
      presbyter. Chorepiscopi may likewise, according to ancient custom and
      with the bishop's authorization, appoint readers.[1]

      BALSAMON.

      I say therefore from this present canon and from canon xix. that they
      may properly be made superiors, who have never received holy orders;
      since women may be placed in such positions in our monasteries. And as
      these women do not hear confessions, nor make readers, so neither do
      superiors do this who are neither monks nor priests, nor could they do
      this even with the license of the bishop.