Need spelling help

  • Michael Malloy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2005
      I apologize for asking such a question, but in all honesty Greek
      really is a completely alien language for me. Too many names are
      either unpronounceable or unspellable.

      These three saints are mentioned at the end of Divine Liturgy in my
      parish because a portion of their relics are in the antiminsion:

      Pravus, Trakus, Andronicus

      I know the spelling is wrong. Can anyone help me?

      Michael Malloy
      Columbus OH
    • Subdeacon John
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2005
        Michael, I looked up your entries in the Great Horologion (HTM) which
        has an appendix listing saints by name and gives the date of
        commemoration.

        1. No entries for Pravus. There are four entries for Probus and two
        for Proclus.

        Probus (or Promus), Martyr (with Hilary), Dec 16.
        Probus of Egypt, Martyr in Ascalon, Dec 19.
        Probus, Martyr (with Andrew), July 9.

        ***Probus, Martyr (with Tarachus and Andronicus), Oct 12.

        Proclus of Ancyra, Martyr, July 12.
        Proclus, Archbishop of Constantinople, Nov 20.

        2. No Trakus. Found Tarachus, Martyr, Oct. 12.

        3. Eight entries for Andronicus:

        of Alexandria, Martyr, Sept 6
        of Moschow, Righteous, June 13
        Apostle, of the 70, May 17, July 30, Jan 4.
        Archbishop of Perm, New Martyr, June 4

        ***Martyr, (with Probus and Tarachus), Oct 12.

        Martyr, Mar 12
        Priest of Nikolaevsk, New Martyr, May 17
        Righteous, (with Athanasia), Oct 9

        Hope this helps.

        In Christ,
        John Qualls