Re: Small printable horologion

  • Michael Malloy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hello Elizabeth,

      You didn't say which jurisdiction your parish is affliliated with.

      The small horologion you found on the internet does not seem to have a
      blessing from any hierarch. It also seems to be missing many pages. I
      looked briefly at the various downloaded parts. I see it is laid out
      for assembly. Someone put a lot of work into making it.

      When I see an Orthodox book with no jurisdiction indicated I am
      suspicious. You should ask your priest about the complete book, or at
      least what you can download of it.

      The language of the small horologion is unfamiliar to me. It might
      follow Greek practice.

      I agree with the others about Fr. John Whiteford's web site. I use it
      all the time and the language is excellent.

      Reader Michael Malloy
      Columbus Ohio, USA
    • Elizabeth Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
        Hello Michael
        Many thanks for your reply !
        I belong to a Greek Archdiocese parish in UK, BTW.

        All the pages in the small horologion are physically present but scattered all over the place, for some reason.
        I will be taking it to my priest for his opinion, but I do find the inclusion of troparia/kontakia for so many saints very useful indeed. I just don`t like modern language for worship.......

        I infinitely prefer Fr John Whiteford`s traditional language and accessible layout. I am in the process of printing out the Hours from his site.

        Many thanks for your kind help,