Small printable horologion

  • Elizabeth Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2005
      Hello .
      My name is Elizabeth, I live in the UK and attend a church 45 mins drive away. Because I don`t drive, I can`t get to church as often as I would like, and I am interested in learning how to pray the Hours occasioanlly at home, as time and family circumstances permit.
      My priest has blessed me to do this.
      The one thing that puts me off is the sheer number of texts you seem to need to get all the variable parts of the hours.
      I do have Hapgood and the Jordanville and HT prayerbooks

      I have come across a small printable horologion at http://members.cox.net/theotokos/
      I would appreciate your comments on the completeness of this for home use.
      It seems straightforward enough to navigate.
      I like the fact that the Sunday and weekday troparia as well as Triodion and Pentecostarian troparia are included, together with festal and saints troparia and kontakia.

      I don`t like the modern language, but that`s just me :-)
      What books do you all use ?
      Many thanks
      Elizabeth

    • Phil Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2005
        Dear Elizabeth,

        Fr. John Whiteford has a website where readers services for all the
        hours are listed. I forget the name of it though... just google his
        name. God bless you!

        Vladimir Anderson

[...]

        ogion.htm

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Stephen Parsons
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2005
          --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Anderson"
          <panderson@b...> wrote:
          > Fr. John Whiteford has a website where readers services for all the
          > hours are listed.

          http://www.saintjonah.org/services/

          -- Stephen in NC (rdr Joseph)
        • Elizabeth Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 26, 2005
            Very many thanks to all who responded - I will enjoy using the recommended sites.
            I think my printer is going to be over-worked in the next few days :-)
            Elizabeth
            > Fr. John Whiteford has a website where readers services for all the
            > hours are listed.

            http://www.saintjonah.org/services/

            -- Stephen in NC (rdr Joseph)

            ogion.htm

          • Michael Malloy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
              Hello Elizabeth,

              You didn't say which jurisdiction your parish is affliliated with.

              The small horologion you found on the internet does not seem to have a
              blessing from any hierarch. It also seems to be missing many pages. I
              looked briefly at the various downloaded parts. I see it is laid out
              for assembly. Someone put a lot of work into making it.

              When I see an Orthodox book with no jurisdiction indicated I am
              suspicious. You should ask your priest about the complete book, or at
              least what you can download of it.

              The language of the small horologion is unfamiliar to me. It might
              follow Greek practice.

              I agree with the others about Fr. John Whiteford's web site. I use it
              all the time and the language is excellent.

              Reader Michael Malloy
              Columbus Ohio, USA
            • Elizabeth Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
                Hello Michael
                Many thanks for your reply !
                I belong to a Greek Archdiocese parish in UK, BTW.

                All the pages in the small horologion are physically present but scattered all over the place, for some reason.
                I will be taking it to my priest for his opinion, but I do find the inclusion of troparia/kontakia for so many saints very useful indeed. I just don`t like modern language for worship.......

                I infinitely prefer Fr John Whiteford`s traditional language and accessible layout. I am in the process of printing out the Hours from his site.

                Many thanks for your kind help,