pre-sanctified liturgy

  • Rami Alghawali
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 12:40 PM
      dear all, what do the parishes, who do not always have a priest, do
      with the pre-sanctified liturgy? do they just do a normal vesper
      followed by the great compline in the great fast or is there an
      arragement of it as a reader service?
      bank you
      a blessed meetfare to all!

      in christ,
      Rami
    • James Morgan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 4:03 PM
        Dear Rami:

        When there is no priest, a readers vespers is served. The Triodion has the
        directions.
        p. 96 shows how.

        Rdr. James Morgan
        Olympia, WA

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11 2:58 PM
          can you please summarize what is written ther? many of the texts are
          online but not these instructions. if it is a rader service where are
          the aposticha to be found?
          thank you
          Rami--- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "James Morgan"
          <rdrjames@c...> wrote:
          > Dear Rami:
          >
          > When there is no priest, a readers vespers is served. The Triodion
          has the
          > directions.
          > p. 96 shows how.
          >
          > Rdr. James Morgan
          > Olympia, WA

        • Stephen Parsons
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12 7:38 AM
            --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Rami Alghawali"
            <televerywhere@y...> wrote:

            > can you please summarize what is written ther? many of the texts
            are
            > online but not these instructions. if it is a rader service where
            are
            > the aposticha to be found?

            The Lenten Triodion says:

            "If the Liturgy of the Presanctified is not celebrated on Wednesday or
            Friday, we use daily Vespers as on other weekdays in Lent.

            "To 'Lord, I have cried', six stichera are sung:
            (1) On Wednesday, three stichera from the Triodion (omitting the first
            sticheron and the sticheron to the Martyrs, which are used at the
            Aposticha); then the three stichera from the Menaion to the saint of
            the day; Glory... Now & ever...; and the Theotokion from the Menaion.

            (2) On Friday, three stichera to the Martyrs in the Tone of the week,
            from the Octoechos; then three stichera from the Menaion to the saint
            of the day; Glory...; Doxastikon of the saint, if such is appointed;
            if not, for the dead, from the Octoechos; Now & ever...; and the
            Theotokion (Dogmatikon) in the Tone of the week from the Octoechos.

            "At the Aposticha, we take the first sticheron provided in the
            Triodion for 'Lord, I have cried', and sing this twice; then the
            sticheron to the Martyrs from the Triodion, if such is provided (but
            if none is provided in the Triodion, we take the sticheron to the
            Martyrs from the Octoechos, in the same Tone as the sticheron that has
            just been sung from the Triodion); Glory... Now & ever...; Theotokion
            in the same tone.

            "On Friday, if there is no Liturgy of the Presanctified, the service
            concludes as follows. After 'Holy God...' and the Lord's Prayer, we do
            not sing 'Hail, Theotokos Virgin...' with the other troparia. But
            after the Lord's Prayer, we sing the apolytikion and the Theotokion
            appointed for the day, and then we use the Litany 'Have mercy upon us,
            O God...'; the Prayer of St. Ephraim once, with three prostrations;
            the prayer 'O Most Holy Trinity...'; 'Blessed be the Name of the
            Lord...' (three times); Glory... Now & ever...; Psalm 133;
            'Wisdom...', etc., and the Dismissal."

            Some of that assumes a priest, of course, so modifications would need
            to be made. One good resource for Reader's services is
            http://www.saintjonah.org/services/horologion.htm The Lenten Triodion
            is also a good book for a parish or mission to have on hand, along
            with the Festal Menaion, each of which is around US$25.

            -- Stephen in NC (rdr Joseph)