Re: Digest Number 180

  • John Congdon
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
      I would second everything that everyone has said so far, with the
      following thought. When you receive the tonsure to Reader (or
      ordination to any other order, Subdeacon in my case, which is less
      chanting and more stage direction), you cease to be a "private
      individual." When you are "on duty" for a service, you are not there
      for yourself, but for the edification and illumination of the laity.
      Focussing on the details of articulation, projection, and tone is
      part of this Christian duty, and into this you should put your heart
      and soul.

      However, like a professional musician, you will (hopefully) reach the
      point where the technique has become so habitual that it falls away,
      and you may find that there is no difference between private and
      public prayer.

      God bless you in your sacred ministry.

      In Christ,
      Subdeacon John

      --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sakran
      <SakranMM@Y...> wrote:
      > I was hoping some of you more experienced
      > readers/chanters could give a novice a bit of advice.
      > I've been actively reading/chanting at church for
      > about 6 months now. Although, by God's grace alone,
      > my ability has progressed fairly well, I am still
      > lacking in the area of concentration. Whenever I read
      > or chant, I am so focused on making sure the tone is
      > right, that I'm loud enough, that I'm reading legibly,
      > etc...that I cannot truly put my heart and soul into
      > what I'm reading...the prayers and Troparia simply
      > become "lip service." When I pray privately, I have
      > no problem at all...but its only when I read publicly
      > in church. I don't get nervous or anything like that,
      > but I can't seem to find a cure to this ailment. Any
      > advice would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Christ's Servant,
      >
      > Michael S.
      > Spring, TX
      > --- orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > > --------------------~-->
      > > Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion
      > > Toolbar.
      > >
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/m.VolB/TM

      ~->

      > > There is 1 message in this issue.
      > >
      > > Topics in this digest:
      > >
      > > 1. Re: Beatitudes
      > > From: Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
      > > <nmbailey@c...>

      __

      __

      > > Message: 1
      > > Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:49:03 -0500
      > > From: Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
      > > <nmbailey@c...>
      > > Subject: Re: Beatitudes
      > >
      > > The Beatitude verses for services from the Menaion
      > > may be found in most
      > > services published by Saint John of Kronstadt Press,
      > > with rubrics indicating
      > > how many verses from which ode. I have been using
      > > this resource for almost
      > > fifteen years.
      > > --
      > > Reader Nicholas Bailey
      > > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church (OCA)
      > > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

      > > removed]

      __

      __