Greetings and a question

  • nikolai@adams.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2004
      Hoping that you are having a spiritually profitable Great Lent.

      I was so pleased to find that Fr. John had created a group to discuss
      Reader's issues. Some may remember me from the Indiana list (which I
      just never got around to re-upping to when I changed providers a few
      years back).

      I am a tonsured reader in the OCA, living in Quincy, IL where I
      provide reader support for the Mission Church of St. Raphael of
      Brooklyn. We are a small community begun in 1998 with the blessing of
      Archbishop Job of Chicago (though he wasn't an Archbishop then :).

      I do have a question for the group:

      When doing the Troparia and Kontakia of the day, and you have festal
      as well as Resurrection and Church ones to do, in what order do you do
      them? Where do you place the "Glory..." and do you split it?

      Thanks for your help!

      Kevin Nikolai Payne
      Quincy, IL
    • Asyncritus Patterson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2004
        I too am a tonsured reader in the OCA in the Kansas City area under
        Archbishop Job.

        I find the information I need about where the Glory... bot Now and
        Ever... if they are together or split within the Rubrics from St.
        Tikhon's Press. http://stots.edu/bookstore/serv.htm It is only
        $22.00 and one of my better investments each year. Any time we have
        had a service, the order is listed in the Litugry of the day.

        I hope this helps, and if you need more, I will help any way that I
        can.

        Please pray for me, a most unworthy sinner.

        In Christ,

        Reader Asyncritus

        --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, nikolai@a... wrote:
        > Hoping that you are having a spiritually profitable Great Lent.
        >
        > I was so pleased to find that Fr. John had created a group to
        discuss
        > Reader's issues. Some may remember me from the Indiana list (which
        > just never got around to re-upping to when I changed providers a
        few
        > years back).
        >
        > I am a tonsured reader in the OCA, living in Quincy, IL where I
        > provide reader support for the Mission Church of St. Raphael of
        > Brooklyn. We are a small community begun in 1998 with the blessing
        of
        > Archbishop Job of Chicago (though he wasn't an Archbishop then :).
        >
        > I do have a question for the group:
        >
        > When doing the Troparia and Kontakia of the day, and you have
        festal
        > as well as Resurrection and Church ones to do, in what order do
        you do
        > them? Where do you place the "Glory..." and do you split it?
        >
        > Thanks for your help!
        >
        > Kevin Nikolai Payne
        > Quincy, IL
      • Theophan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2004
          Reader Nikolai asked:

          When doing the Troparia and Kontakia of the day,
          and you have festal as well as Resurrection and
          Church ones to do, in what order do you do them?
          Where do you place the "Glory..." and do you
          split it?

          There's no one "rule of thumb" that you can follow for this. The Typikon
          specifies different rubrics for different types of services.

          The Order of Divine Services by St. John of Kronstadt Press provides the
          specific rubrics from the Typikon needed for each different type of service,
          and they're quite different from each other. For example,

          In a "Simple Service," it says,
          We read the Sunday troparion;
          Glory...
          the troparion from the Menaion;
          Now and ever...
          The Theotokion from the Horologion.
          Only the Sunday kontakion is read.
          The kontakion from the Menaion is not read.

          But in a Doxology Rank Service, it says,
          We read the Sunday troparion;
          Glory...
          The troparion from the Menaion;
          Now and ever...
          The Theotokion from the Horologion.
          At the 1st & 6th hours, we read the kontakion from the Menaion.
          At the 3rd & 9th hours, we read the Sunday kontakion.

          There are MANY different types and ranks of services, and the way the
          troparia and kontakia in the hours are to be done is specified for each.

          Also, Father John Whiteford posts rubrics on his web site, and he gives
          rubrics for the hours for each Sunday. You just have to know that what he
          means, when he says, "alternating," is that you start with the 1st Hour, and
          than rotate through however many troparia or kontakia he listed through 1st,
          3rd, 6th, and 9th Hours. For example, if he says something like "Sunday
          troparion, Glory; Feast & Saint, alternating," that means you do the Sunday
          troparion first in all of the hours, then Glory, and then one of two
          troparia, depending on which hour it is. So if he said "Feast & Saint,
          alternating," then he means Feast at 1st Hour, Saint at 3rd Hour, Feast at
          6th Hour, Saint at 9th Hour.

          I can't say strongly enough, though, how valuable the SJOKP Order of Divine
          Services is, though, and gosh, I'd recommend getting a copy for your church,
          at least. There is SO much information in it from the Typikon -- I've even
          heard some people loosely call it "the Typikon," because for most of us, it
          has everything we need from the Typikon, and it has chapters explaining all
          kinds of fascinating and difficult things. With the combination of the
          SJOKP Liturgical Calendar and the Order of Divine Services, everything you
          need is there. It's amazing.

          Theophan Dort
        • Stephen Parsons
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2004
            nikolai@... wrote:

            > When doing the Troparia and Kontakia of the day, and you have festal
            > as well as Resurrection and Church ones to do, in what order do you do
            > them? Where do you place the "Glory..." and do you split it?

            The OCA's annually published rubrics book, which your parish probably
            already has, should specify how to do the troparia and kontakia during
            the Hours at each service; the instructions are the same as what
            Theophan cited. I believe it also has the instructions for those during
            the Divine Liturgy. (I say only "I believe", because it's at the
            reader's stand right now, and I'm not :-), and because our choir
            director always takes care of that part for us here. I know it's in
            there, but I seldom have cause to study it.) I have not seen the SJOKP
            book, but it sounds good. Theophan's sample from it is a little less
            compact and cryptic than that in the rubrics book.

            -- Rdr Joseph
            -- Raleigh, NC