Re: [orthodox-readers] Printed Reader Service Horologion

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2003
      Father, bless:

      Might also include rubrics for reading epistle and gospel, as they do in
      Alaska. (I have heard that they have a new edition of the Obednitsa, but I
      have not seen it.)

      Reader James Morgan
      Holy Ascension Mission (OCA)
      Olympia, WA

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
        Alban Mosher wrote:

        > Just one quick question, do you think that such a
        > book should include the variations based on
        > different typicons, i.e. Greek and Russian? After
        > all, not all isolated Orthodox Christians are
        > exclusively of the Russian or Greek traditions.

        I try to make note of Greek variations when I am aware
        of them. But in the case of typica, I believe the
        Greek practice would be to simply do Typika according
        to the order found in the Horologion, which would not
        include the beatitude verses, the troparia, the
        Prokimena and Alleluia verses, or the Gospel and
        Epistle readings. Given that, in this case, I prefer
        to stick to the Old Rite order, so that as much is
        included as possible.

        =====
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
          James Morgan wrote:

          > Might also include rubrics for reading epistle and
          > gospel, as they do in
          > Alaska. (I have heard that they have a new edition
          > of the Obednitsa, but I
          > have not seen it.)

          I would be interested in knowing what rubrics they
          include. What I have done up until now is simply
          refer to the variable portions page for that
          information.

          =====
        • Elizabeth A Bezzerides
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
            Dear Fr. John,

            Would it be possible to make both available -- a version to download and
            a bound version?

            A downloaded version would allow for the addition of music if someone or
            a community were so inclined. As different communities have differing
            musical resources, being able to fit local needs is important. That
            would save the need to photocopy and scan or to re-enter entire services
            in order to add liturgical tones, etc.

            Thank you.

            Fr. John Whiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:Hello folks,

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2003
              --- Elizabeth A Bezzerides wrote:
              > Dear Fr. John,
              >
              > Would it be possible to make both available -- a
              > version to download and
              > a bound version?

              Everything that I have in a final form is already
              available online:

              Anything I print would have some slight format
              difference due to the needs of printing, but nothing
              which would not be made available for free on the web.

              =====
            • orthodox_raphael
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 11, 2003
                --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John Whiteford"
                <frjohnwhiteford@y...> wrote:

                > Anything I print would have some slight format
                > difference due to the needs of printing, but nothing
                > which would not be made available for free on the web.

                Father Bless!

                Have you decided whether or not to print a Reader's Service
                Horologion?

                Peace,
                Christ's Sheep Raphael
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 11, 2003
                  In the long run, yes. In the short run, I am planning
                  on publishing individual services in booklet format,
                  starting with an expanded typika booklet (typika plus
                  a lot of instructional stuff).

                  -Fr. John

                  =====