RE: [orthodox-readers] Prayers at home

  • Anthony Jacobs
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2002
      Dear Constantine,

      There are many prayers in the morning and evening prayers (particularly the evening prayers) which would be applicable for repelling the attacks of the enemy. I use both the Jordanville prayer book and A Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery. The morning and evening prayers are quite different between the two prayerbooks, especially the evening prayers, for which the Jordanville prayer book has a significantly longer set of prayers (at least it seems that way), while the evening prayers in the HTM prayer book consists of the Small Compline service.

      There are numerous psalms as well, one of which comes immediately to mind is Psalm 67 (68 acc. to the Masoretic numbering)--"Let God arise and let His enemies be scattered..." but also several, if not all, the Psalms given for morning and evening prayers are appropriate.

      These are just a few suggestions, and I look forward to hearing what others suggest.

      Anthony

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
        Dear Constantine,

        In the 'Prayers before sleep' of the Jordanville prayer book there is
        a prayer to the Cross which starts out quoting Psalm 67, but then
        shifts into a more explicit invocation of the protective power of the
        Life-giving Cross of our Lord:

        Kiss your cross, and make the sign of the Cross from head to foot of
        the bed and from two sides, and then say:

        Prayer to the Venerable Cross
        Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered; and let those who
        hate Him flee from His presence. As smoke vanishes, let them vanish;
        and as wax melts from the presence of fire, so let the demons perish
        from the presence of those who love God and who sign themselves with
        the Sign of the Cross and say in gladness: Hail, most precious and
        life-giving Cross of the Lord, for Thou drivest away the demons by
        the power of our Lord Jesus Christ crucified on thee, Who went down
        to hell and trampled on the power of the devil, and gave us thee, His
        venerable Cross, for driving away all enemies. O most precious and
        life-giving Cross of the Lord, help me with our holy Lady, the Virgin
        Mother of God, and with all the Saints throughout the ages. Amen.

        (Just before getting into bed, say:)

        Guard me, O Lord, by the power of Thy holy and life-giving Cross, and
        keep me from all evil.

        (Just before yielding yourself up to sleep, say:)

        Into Thy hands, O Lord Jesus Christ, my God, I surrender my spirit
        and body; bless me, save me, and grant me eternal life. Amen.

        Anthony

        --- In orthodox-readers@y..., "Anthony Jacobs" <ajj@h...> wrote:
        > Dear Constantine,

        <snip>

        > There are numerous psalms as well, one of which comes immediately
        to mind is Psalm 67 (68 acc. to the Masoretic numbering)--"Let God
        arise and let His enemies be scattered..." but also several, if not
        all, the Psalms given for morning and evening prayers are appropriate.

        > These are just a few suggestions, and I look forward to hearing
        what others suggest.

        > Anthony
      • Constantine Hatzes
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2002
          > Dear Constantine,
          >
          > In the 'Prayers before sleep' of the Jordanville
          > prayer book there is
          > a prayer to the Cross which starts out quoting Psalm
          > 67, but then
          > shifts into a more explicit invocation of the
          > protective power of the
          > Life-giving Cross of our Lord:
          >
          > Kiss your cross, and make the sign of the Cross from
          > head to foot of
          > the bed and from two sides, and then say:
          >
          > Prayer to the Venerable Cross
          >
          > (Just before getting into bed, say:)
          >
          > Guard me, O Lord, by the power of Thy holy and
          > life-giving Cross, and
          > keep me from all evil.
          >
          > (Just before yielding yourself up to sleep, say:)
          >
          > Into Thy hands, O Lord Jesus Christ, my God, I
          > surrender my spirit
          > and body; bless me, save me, and grant me eternal
          > life. Amen.
          >

          > Anthony
          >
          > --- In orthodox-readers@y..., "Anthony Jacobs"
          > <ajj@h...> wrote:
          > > Dear Constantine,
          > >
          > <snip>
          > >
          > > There are numerous psalms as well, one of which
          > comes immediately
          > to mind is Psalm 67 (68 acc. to the Masoretic
          > numbering)--"Let God
          > arise and let His enemies be scattered..." but also
          > several, if not
          > all, the Psalms given for morning and evening
          > prayers are appropriate.
          > >
          > > These are just a few suggestions, and I look
          > forward to hearing
          > what others suggest.
          > >
          > > Anthony

          Dear Readers,
          Would I be going "overboard" if I made the sign of the
          cross at each entrance (door) to the house, or am I
          getting too extreme? When my children are away from
          the house, at their friends, one late teen, the other
          early twenties, would it be appropriate to make the
          sign of the cross over their beds & pray the prayer to
          the cross? I'm trying to clarify between sincere
          piety of parents & grandparents versus what is
          actually right & proper. Everyone has been very
          helpful!!! Thank you, Constantine

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Anthony Jacobs
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2002
            Dear Constantine,

            I don't think it would be going "overboard" at all to do this. We do exactly the same thing when we carry the censer around the house, making the sign of the cross with it in every room. I think it makes great sense to make the sign at the doors as well.

            Regarding your children--You mean you don't kneel in front of your icons praying until they arrive home safely? :-)

            Seriously though, I think this would be precisely the time to invoke the protection of the glorious cross of our Lord. What I said about kneeling in front of the icons wasn't completely a joke. I think I've read about it (or something akin to it) in the lives of the saints, so I think making the sign of the cross over their beds or a similar gesture would be the 'minimum' a concerned parent would do.

            I found this passage in Cyril Mango's book _Byzantium: the Empire of New Rome_. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons. 1980.:

            "The holier a man was, the more the devil envied him and tried to entrap him. But the holy man usually possessed 'the gift of the discernment of spirits'. He could, so to speak, smell the devil out and could then put him to flight by the sign of the cross or by reciting Psalm 68 [67 acc. to LXX]: 'Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered; let them also that hate him flee before him.' For, at bottom, the demons were powerless: as St Anthony pointed out, they even had to ask the Lord's permission to enter the Gadarene swine. And for what other reason did they assume the form of lowly animals?"

            pp163-4

            Anthony

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2002
              From: Constantine Hatzes <cxatzes@...>
              Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:18:38 -0800 (PST)

              >... When my children are away from
              >the house, at their friends, one late teen, the other
              >early twenties, would it be appropriate to make the
              >sign of the cross over their beds & pray the prayer to
              >the cross? I'm trying to clarify between sincere
              >piety of parents & grandparents versus what is
              >actually right & proper...

              What is "right and proper" is love, and I can't think of any more loving action than what you have described. In fact, my son (22) is out of the house this weekend at an Orthodox Youth retreat - he just left about 45 minutes ago, and it's a 90-minute drive in heavy rush-hour traffic. I never thought to do this - now I will, and I *know* God hears the prayers of concerned mothers (having had one...)

              Margaret the sinner

              Glory to God in all things!