Paschal Epistle of Met. Laurus

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2003
      Paschal Epistle of Metropolitan Laurus,
      First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad

      Christ is risen!

      "Come, all ye faithful, and let us worship the holy
      Resurrection of Christ. For, lo! by the Cross hath joy
      come to all the world" (Paschal Matins, "Having beheld
      the Resurrection of Christ")
      Joy and exultation have shone forth upon the whole
      world. And the hymns of the Church during these days
      accordingly call us to spiritual joy: "This is the day
      that the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad
      therein." And the whole world, visible and invisible,
      rejoices and exults in the rising of Christ.

      "Let the heavens be glad as is meet, and let the earth
      rejoice; and let the whole world, visible and
      invisible, keep festival, for Christ, the eternal
      gladness, is risen."
      Since we celebrate the slaying of death, the
      destruction of hades, the Holy Church rejoices and
      joins chorus, and calls all to celebrate the joyous
      triumph of the Resurrection of Christ. It invites both
      the angels and men, the living and the dead, to join
      together prayerfully now to hymn the all-radiant
      Resurrection of Christ.

      Who can fail to rejoice, seeing that, after the
      terrible sufferings He underwent (which we remembered
      with the Holy Church during Passion Week), Christ the
      Savior has risen? This miraculous event provides us
      with the basis for the resurrection which is to come,
      and fills us also with paschal joy.

      Our Lord Jesus Christ suffered, and by His sufferings
      He teaches us that without suffering we will not be
      able to pass through this earthly life, this vale of
      tears and sorrows. But after this earthly life, after
      all our sufferings, our own resurrection will
      follow--we also will arise as our Savior arose.
      Therefore, let us rejoice and join chorus, brethren
      and sisters, for Christ has vanquished hades and
      death; He has thrown wide for us the gates of
      paradise, and unto all who have cleansed themselves of
      sins and iniquities with a pure heart ´┐Żunto them all
      has He granted forgiveness.

      This is why the Holy Church calls us to spiritual
      triumph: "Jesus having risen from the tomb, as He
      foretold, hath given us everlasting life and great
      mercy."

      With all my heart I greet our archpastors, pastors,
      and our whole God-loving flock, with these great and
      salvific days of the radiant Resurrection of Christ.

      Truly Christ is risen!

      + Metropolitan Laurus

      The Pascha of Christ, 2003

      http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/news/pascha2003.html