Re: [orthodox-readers] Re: Psaltis cap

  • wilibrad@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
      In a message dated 2/28/03 7:26:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      rdrjames@... writes:

      << I like that! the priest and psalomchik in matching podriasniki! >>
      Yes, and our other reader has a lighter blue (rector's old cast-off that he
      inherited) and our subdeacon's daughter refers to the three of us as "the
      bluebirds of happiness!" respectfully, of course! lol
      Reader Stephen
      P.S. Might we call that "liturgical levity?"
    • psaltisuk <ivanmoody@ukonline.co.uk>
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
        Well, the "racing stripes" are in fact a red collar - you can more or
        less make it out in the ecclesiastical photographs in the photo
        gallery on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/ivanmoody

        But some of them are quite dark, and it may be difficult to see!

        In Christ,

        Ivan

        --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
        <nmbailey@c...> wrote:
        > What I seem to be hearing is a Reader¹s skoufia is awarded (for
        what I am
        > not sure). But I guess I¹m a little confused about ³racing
        stripes.² I¹ve
        > often lamented the fact that there is little to distinguish a
        reader from a
        > sub-deacon from a monastic.
        > --
        > Reader Nicholas Bailey
        > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
        > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

      • Reader Michael J. Bishop
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
          A subdeacon wears the orarion (stole) and a reader does not. This is the
          general rule.

          But in some jurisdictions there are ordained subdeacons and blessed
          subdeacons. I'm trying to keep things simple and non-technical. A blessed
          subdeacon does not have the title of subdeacon but might wear an orarion. I
          have been tonsured a reader and immediately vested with the orarion by the
          bishop. Thus, I vest as a subdeacon but my title is reader. Sometimes when
          a priest is referring to me during a service, he might say "Reader Michael,
          subdeacon."

          A far as serving is concerned, a subdeacon can put things on the altar when
          necessary and a reader cannot. Technically, I should not be putting things
          on the altar nor taking things off the altar. In some jurisdictions an
          ordained subdeacon does the Great Litany and Little Litanies at the beginning
          of the Liturgy. A blessed subdeacon does not.

          Reader Michael

          "psaltisuk " wrote:

          > Well, the "racing stripes" are in fact a red collar - you can more or
          > less make it out in the ecclesiastical photographs in the photo
          > gallery on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/ivanmoody
          >
          > But some of them are quite dark, and it may be difficult to see!
          >
          > In Christ,
          >
          > Ivan
          >
          > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
          > <nmbailey@c...> wrote:
          > > What I seem to be hearing is a ReaderΉs skoufia is awarded (for
          > what I am
          > > not sure). But I guess IΉm a little confused about ³racing
          > stripes.² IΉve
          > > often lamented the fact that there is little to distinguish a
          > reader from a
          > > sub-deacon from a monastic.
          > > --
          > > Reader Nicholas Bailey
          > > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
          > > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

          Reader Michael J. Bishop
          918 St Paul St
          Baltimore MD 21202