Re: [orthodox-readers] Re: Psaltis cap

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28 4:03 PM
      I like that! the priest and psalomchik in matching podriasniki!

      Rdr. James
      Olympia, WA

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28 5:59 PM
        In a message dated 2/28/03 7:26:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        rdrjames@... writes:

        << I like that! the priest and psalomchik in matching podriasniki! >>
        Yes, and our other reader has a lighter blue (rector's old cast-off that he
        inherited) and our subdeacon's daughter refers to the three of us as "the
        bluebirds of happiness!" respectfully, of course! lol
        Reader Stephen
        P.S. Might we call that "liturgical levity?"
      • psaltisuk <ivanmoody@ukonline.co.uk>
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
          Well, the "racing stripes" are in fact a red collar - you can more or
          less make it out in the ecclesiastical photographs in the photo
          gallery on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/ivanmoody

          But some of them are quite dark, and it may be difficult to see!

          In Christ,

          Ivan

          --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
          <nmbailey@c...> wrote:
          > What I seem to be hearing is a Reader¹s skoufia is awarded (for
          what I am
          > not sure). But I guess I¹m a little confused about ³racing
          stripes.² I¹ve
          > often lamented the fact that there is little to distinguish a
          reader from a
          > sub-deacon from a monastic.
          > --
          > Reader Nicholas Bailey
          > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
          > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

        • Reader Michael J. Bishop
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
            A subdeacon wears the orarion (stole) and a reader does not. This is the
            general rule.

            But in some jurisdictions there are ordained subdeacons and blessed
            subdeacons. I'm trying to keep things simple and non-technical. A blessed
            subdeacon does not have the title of subdeacon but might wear an orarion. I
            have been tonsured a reader and immediately vested with the orarion by the
            bishop. Thus, I vest as a subdeacon but my title is reader. Sometimes when
            a priest is referring to me during a service, he might say "Reader Michael,
            subdeacon."

            A far as serving is concerned, a subdeacon can put things on the altar when
            necessary and a reader cannot. Technically, I should not be putting things
            on the altar nor taking things off the altar. In some jurisdictions an
            ordained subdeacon does the Great Litany and Little Litanies at the beginning
            of the Liturgy. A blessed subdeacon does not.

            Reader Michael

            "psaltisuk " wrote:

            > Well, the "racing stripes" are in fact a red collar - you can more or
            > less make it out in the ecclesiastical photographs in the photo
            > gallery on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/ivanmoody
            >
            > But some of them are quite dark, and it may be difficult to see!
            >
            > In Christ,
            >
            > Ivan
            >
            > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
            > <nmbailey@c...> wrote:
            > > What I seem to be hearing is a ReaderΉs skoufia is awarded (for
            > what I am
            > > not sure). But I guess IΉm a little confused about ³racing
            > stripes.² IΉve
            > > often lamented the fact that there is little to distinguish a
            > reader from a
            > > sub-deacon from a monastic.
            > > --
            > > Reader Nicholas Bailey
            > > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
            > > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

            Reader Michael J. Bishop
            918 St Paul St
            Baltimore MD 21202