Re: Psaltis cap

  • Subdeacon Petro (R.L. Brown) <nikolaibr@
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
      And our readers, to bring up another question, always
      > wear black (Must they? grey would be nice in the summer!)
      > And in some parishes the tonsured readers don't wear even a
      podriasnik. (My parish priest considers his readers to be clergy and
      wants us to wear our cassocks when we are on the church grounds; we
      are becoming known as the men in black' after that movie. although we
      have not quelled any extraterrestrial beings yet, at least not
      visible ones!) Anyway, interesting observations. I do know that in
      the Greek church the psalti wears a rason but no podriasnik. Looks
      like an academic gown. Anyone have any other thoughts? Should we all
      petition our hierarchs to wear robin's egg blue podriasniki under our
      riassas? (Gets expensive, all this stuff!)

      > Reader James Morgan
      > Olympia, WA
      > I am wondering

      Dear James, if "extraterrestrial" includes darker supernatural beings
      then you have indeed quelled these!

      You can get patterns and anyone with moderate sewing experience can
      make some. They are not that difficult, although the Russian style
      is a bit more complicated than the Greek because of the collar
      arrangement and the general fit.

      I have a gray podrisanik of much lighter material I wear during the
      hotter times of the year. The color is not specifically prescribed
      for non-monastics, but you should get the blessing of your pastor
      before you do anything of the sort. Other colors such as gray, blue,
      olive, etc. are readily available if you don't want to bother with
      making one. And you are right, at $150-175+ a crack per riassa or
      podriasnik, they do get expensive.
    • wilibrad@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
        In a message dated 2/28/03 11:31:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        nikolaibr@... writes:

        << I have a gray podrisanik of much lighter material I wear during the
        hotter times of the year. >>
        I wear a blue podriasnik (although I have a black one on order right now)
        with the blessing of my rector. I have worn it for many hierarchical services
        in my parish and elsewhere without repercussion. It is a light-weight one
        made by a laywoman at Jordanville about 5 years ago. I just preferred blue,
        and my rector has one of the same color he wears for summer.
        Reader Stephen
      • James Morgan
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
          I like that! the priest and psalomchik in matching podriasniki!

          Rdr. James
          Olympia, WA

        • wilibrad@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
            In a message dated 2/28/03 7:26:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            rdrjames@... writes:

            << I like that! the priest and psalomchik in matching podriasniki! >>
            Yes, and our other reader has a lighter blue (rector's old cast-off that he
            inherited) and our subdeacon's daughter refers to the three of us as "the
            bluebirds of happiness!" respectfully, of course! lol
            Reader Stephen
            P.S. Might we call that "liturgical levity?"
          • psaltisuk <ivanmoody@ukonline.co.uk>
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
              Well, the "racing stripes" are in fact a red collar - you can more or
              less make it out in the ecclesiastical photographs in the photo
              gallery on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/ivanmoody

              But some of them are quite dark, and it may be difficult to see!

              In Christ,

              Ivan

              --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
              <nmbailey@c...> wrote:
              > What I seem to be hearing is a Reader¹s skoufia is awarded (for
              what I am
              > not sure). But I guess I¹m a little confused about ³racing
              stripes.² I¹ve
              > often lamented the fact that there is little to distinguish a
              reader from a
              > sub-deacon from a monastic.
              > --
              > Reader Nicholas Bailey
              > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
              > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

            • Reader Michael J. Bishop
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
                A subdeacon wears the orarion (stole) and a reader does not. This is the
                general rule.

                But in some jurisdictions there are ordained subdeacons and blessed
                subdeacons. I'm trying to keep things simple and non-technical. A blessed
                subdeacon does not have the title of subdeacon but might wear an orarion. I
                have been tonsured a reader and immediately vested with the orarion by the
                bishop. Thus, I vest as a subdeacon but my title is reader. Sometimes when
                a priest is referring to me during a service, he might say "Reader Michael,
                subdeacon."

                A far as serving is concerned, a subdeacon can put things on the altar when
                necessary and a reader cannot. Technically, I should not be putting things
                on the altar nor taking things off the altar. In some jurisdictions an
                ordained subdeacon does the Great Litany and Little Litanies at the beginning
                of the Liturgy. A blessed subdeacon does not.

                Reader Michael

                "psaltisuk " wrote:

                > Well, the "racing stripes" are in fact a red collar - you can more or
                > less make it out in the ecclesiastical photographs in the photo
                > gallery on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/ivanmoody
                >
                > But some of them are quite dark, and it may be difficult to see!
                >
                > In Christ,
                >
                > Ivan
                >
                > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
                > <nmbailey@c...> wrote:
                > > What I seem to be hearing is a ReaderΉs skoufia is awarded (for
                > what I am
                > > not sure). But I guess IΉm a little confused about ³racing
                > stripes.² IΉve
                > > often lamented the fact that there is little to distinguish a
                > reader from a
                > > sub-deacon from a monastic.
                > > --
                > > Reader Nicholas Bailey
                > > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
                > > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

                Reader Michael J. Bishop
                918 St Paul St
                Baltimore MD 21202