Re: [orthodox-readers] Re: Psaltis cap

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 26 1:55 PM
      Subdeacon Petro said at the end of his post:

      But if reader, deacon, or subdeacon is not vested, I can see your
      point because all will have a riassa over a podriasnik and look
      similar.

      Reader James replies:

      I have never seen in the fairly conservative OCA Diocese of the West a
      reader or subdeacon wearing a riassa, nor a skoufia, for that matter,
      although I know that our Vladyka TIKHON has blessed at least one reader to
      wear the skoufia. And our readers, to bring up another question, always
      wear black (Must they? grey would be nice in the summer!)
      And in some parishes the tonsured readers don't wear even a podriasnik. (My
      parish priest considers his readers to be clergy and wants us to wear our
      cassocks when we are on the church grounds; we are becoming known as the
      'men in black' after that movie. although we have not quelled any
      extraterrestrial beings yet, at least not visible ones!)

      Anyway, interesting observations. I do know that in the Greek church the
      psalti wears a rason but no podriasnik. Looks like an academic gown.

      Anyone have any other thoughts? Should we all petition our hierarchs to
      wear robin's egg blue podriasniki under our riassas? (Gets expensive, all
      this stuff!)

      Reader James Morgan
      Olympia, WA
      I am wondering
    • Subdeacon Petro (R.L. Brown) <nikolaibr@
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28 5:46 AM
        And our readers, to bring up another question, always
        > wear black (Must they? grey would be nice in the summer!)
        > And in some parishes the tonsured readers don't wear even a
        podriasnik. (My parish priest considers his readers to be clergy and
        wants us to wear our cassocks when we are on the church grounds; we
        are becoming known as the men in black' after that movie. although we
        have not quelled any extraterrestrial beings yet, at least not
        visible ones!) Anyway, interesting observations. I do know that in
        the Greek church the psalti wears a rason but no podriasnik. Looks
        like an academic gown. Anyone have any other thoughts? Should we all
        petition our hierarchs to wear robin's egg blue podriasniki under our
        riassas? (Gets expensive, all this stuff!)

        > Reader James Morgan
        > Olympia, WA
        > I am wondering

        Dear James, if "extraterrestrial" includes darker supernatural beings
        then you have indeed quelled these!

        You can get patterns and anyone with moderate sewing experience can
        make some. They are not that difficult, although the Russian style
        is a bit more complicated than the Greek because of the collar
        arrangement and the general fit.

        I have a gray podrisanik of much lighter material I wear during the
        hotter times of the year. The color is not specifically prescribed
        for non-monastics, but you should get the blessing of your pastor
        before you do anything of the sort. Other colors such as gray, blue,
        olive, etc. are readily available if you don't want to bother with
        making one. And you are right, at $150-175+ a crack per riassa or
        podriasnik, they do get expensive.
      • wilibrad@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28 1:46 PM
          In a message dated 2/28/03 11:31:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          nikolaibr@... writes:

          << I have a gray podrisanik of much lighter material I wear during the
          hotter times of the year. >>
          I wear a blue podriasnik (although I have a black one on order right now)
          with the blessing of my rector. I have worn it for many hierarchical services
          in my parish and elsewhere without repercussion. It is a light-weight one
          made by a laywoman at Jordanville about 5 years ago. I just preferred blue,
          and my rector has one of the same color he wears for summer.
          Reader Stephen
        • James Morgan
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28 4:03 PM
            I like that! the priest and psalomchik in matching podriasniki!

            Rdr. James
            Olympia, WA

          • wilibrad@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 28 5:59 PM
              In a message dated 2/28/03 7:26:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              rdrjames@... writes:

              << I like that! the priest and psalomchik in matching podriasniki! >>
              Yes, and our other reader has a lighter blue (rector's old cast-off that he
              inherited) and our subdeacon's daughter refers to the three of us as "the
              bluebirds of happiness!" respectfully, of course! lol
              Reader Stephen
              P.S. Might we call that "liturgical levity?"
            • psaltisuk <ivanmoody@ukonline.co.uk>
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
                Well, the "racing stripes" are in fact a red collar - you can more or
                less make it out in the ecclesiastical photographs in the photo
                gallery on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/ivanmoody

                But some of them are quite dark, and it may be difficult to see!

                In Christ,

                Ivan

                --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
                <nmbailey@c...> wrote:
                > What I seem to be hearing is a Reader¹s skoufia is awarded (for
                what I am
                > not sure). But I guess I¹m a little confused about ³racing
                stripes.² I¹ve
                > often lamented the fact that there is little to distinguish a
                reader from a
                > sub-deacon from a monastic.
                > --
                > Reader Nicholas Bailey
                > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
                > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

              • Reader Michael J. Bishop
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2003
                  A subdeacon wears the orarion (stole) and a reader does not. This is the
                  general rule.

                  But in some jurisdictions there are ordained subdeacons and blessed
                  subdeacons. I'm trying to keep things simple and non-technical. A blessed
                  subdeacon does not have the title of subdeacon but might wear an orarion. I
                  have been tonsured a reader and immediately vested with the orarion by the
                  bishop. Thus, I vest as a subdeacon but my title is reader. Sometimes when
                  a priest is referring to me during a service, he might say "Reader Michael,
                  subdeacon."

                  A far as serving is concerned, a subdeacon can put things on the altar when
                  necessary and a reader cannot. Technically, I should not be putting things
                  on the altar nor taking things off the altar. In some jurisdictions an
                  ordained subdeacon does the Great Litany and Little Litanies at the beginning
                  of the Liturgy. A blessed subdeacon does not.

                  Reader Michael

                  "psaltisuk " wrote:

                  > Well, the "racing stripes" are in fact a red collar - you can more or
                  > less make it out in the ecclesiastical photographs in the photo
                  > gallery on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/ivanmoody
                  >
                  > But some of them are quite dark, and it may be difficult to see!
                  >
                  > In Christ,
                  >
                  > Ivan
                  >
                  > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Mitchell Bailey
                  > <nmbailey@c...> wrote:
                  > > What I seem to be hearing is a ReaderΉs skoufia is awarded (for
                  > what I am
                  > > not sure). But I guess IΉm a little confused about ³racing
                  > stripes.² IΉve
                  > > often lamented the fact that there is little to distinguish a
                  > reader from a
                  > > sub-deacon from a monastic.
                  > > --
                  > > Reader Nicholas Bailey
                  > > St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
                  > > Tuscaloosa, Alabama

                  Reader Michael J. Bishop
                  918 St Paul St
                  Baltimore MD 21202