Re: Reading the Gospel: Typika

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2002
      David Samuel Thomas wrote:

      "Also in the Typika service when the priest is not present the Gospel
      is read from an ordinary Bible, not the special Gospel Book that is
      on the altar (probably because only a priest can remove the Gospel
      from the altar)."

      I've never heard that. In fact, the reader service typikon calls for
      the gospel and the cross to be set up on an analogion before the
      royal doors. If a priest were going to be out of town for the
      weekend, and that were the reason for the typika, he would set this
      up before he left.

      -Fr. John Whiteford
    • Timothy Copple
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2002
        > "Also in the Typika service when the priest is not present the Gospel
        > is read from an ordinary Bible, not the special Gospel Book that is
        > on the altar (probably because only a priest can remove the Gospel
        > from the altar)."
        >
        > I've never heard that. In fact, the reader service typikon calls for
        > the gospel and the cross to be set up on an analogion before the
        > royal doors. If a priest were going to be out of town for the
        > weekend, and that were the reason for the typika, he would set this
        > up before he left.
        >
        > -Fr. John Whiteford

        I also have been instructed the times our preist was out to use a different
        bible to read the Gospel out of. Now, whether this is Antiochian practice,
        Byzatine as opposed to Russian, or just the custom in certain churches I'm
        not sure.

        Rdr. Timothy Copple
      • larry most
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2002
          GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST - GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
          Dear Fr. John,
          I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your Typicon Website. Here in the Copper Country (Houghton area of Northern Michigan) we do not at the present time have a resident priest and so we use your website every week for our reader services. We do have a priest coming full time in May (God willing).
          Because we do not have a full time priest, I do however read the Gospel from an ordinary Bible, even though we have a Book of Gospels.
          Again I (we at Sts. Sergius and Herman Mission) thank you for taking the time to make the reader services possible.
          Yours in Christ,
          Sub-deacon Larry
          "Fr. John Whiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:David Samuel Thomas wrote:

          "Also in the Typika service when the priest is not present the Gospel
          is read from an ordinary Bible, not the special Gospel Book that is
          on the altar (probably because only a priest can remove the Gospel
          from the altar)."

          I've never heard that. In fact, the reader service typikon calls for
          the gospel and the cross to be set up on an analogion before the
          royal doors. If a priest were going to be out of town for the
          weekend, and that were the reason for the typika, he would set this
          up before he left.

          -Fr. John Whiteford

        • timothydvargas
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
            --- In orthodox-readers@y..., "David Samuel Thomas"
            <davidsamuelthomas@y...> wrote:
            > Also in the Typika service when the priest is not
            > present the Gospel is read from an ordinary Bible, not
            > the special Gospel Book that is on the altar (probably because only
            > priest can remove the Gospel from the altar).

            Glory be to God for all things!!!

            According to tradition, only the Priest or Deacon may read the Gospel
            Lesson; however, for the service of the Typica, a Subdeacon or a
            Tonsured Reader may do so, with the blessing of the Bishop.

            Also, a Priest is NOT the only one that can remove the Gospel from
            the altar, although an ordinary Reader may not touch anything on the
            altar.

            For our Mission we place the Gospel and Cross on an analogion in the
            middle of our chapel for our faithful to venerate, etc. I use a
            separate Gospel for the Reading that I have in the clirios.

            Just my two cents worth.

            In Christ,

            Rdr. Timothy D. Vargas, Ecclesiarch
            St. Peter the Aleut American Orthodox Mission
            Hayward, CA