Changing the Canon of Repentance

  • natwoon
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
      Dear brethren,

      I would like to ask if anyone might be able advise on how the Canon of Repentance is chanted in the Russian tradition. I have the text of the Jordanville Prayer Book with me and notice that the Jordanville Prayer Book notes that the Eirmos is in the Sixth Tone.

      I assume this means that the Eirmos will be chanted in that tone. What about the refrain 'Have mercy one me O God... ' ? Is this also chanted and if so is it also in the same Eirmos melody or is it in the melody used as that used when chanting the Great Canon of St Andrew? Or is it in some other melody?

      Next, my assumption, based on the OCRB recordings I have listened to thus far is that of the troparia and theotokoion in each Ode are recited/intoned and not chanted in the Eirmos tone. Is this correct? I understand that there may be more than one way of doing things and would especially like to know what is the common practice in say, ROCOR churches on the US.

      Nathaniel
    • Philip Sokolov
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2013
        Dear Nathaniel et al.,

        In Russian tradition, the Irmos is sung and the rest of the Troparia are
        read (except during Bright Week, of course). I believe this rule goes
        back to the Stoglavy Sobor of the 16th century.

        The refrains are also usually read, though there are more exceptions to
        this. There are some abbreviated services like Panikhida and Molieben
        where the troparia are commonly abbreviated, so the clergy and choir
        alternate singing the verses. At the Great Canon, the priest reads the
        troparia, and the choir sings the verses. Based on this, it seems
        logical to me for the choir to sing the verses any time the priest is
        reading the troparia - for example, at the Canon of Supplication to the
        Theotokos, or the canon at the Small Compline on Great Friday.

        Hope this helps!

        In Christ,
        Philip

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
          Dear Philip,

          Many thanks for your reply. It certainly helps me make sense of what I have heard thus far.