Megalynaria from Readers/Psaltis Handbook

  • bakcornett
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
      I am working through various sections of the Greek Handbook for Readers and Psaltis, and compiling an English equivalent for use in my parish. In the DL section, I have compiled the English equivalents to the Eisodika and Koinonika, however the section dedicated to the Megalynaria is proving troublesome for my novice self. I don't currently have access to the Menaion, and perhaps that is where I will find my answers, however in searching through the various hymns on St Anthony's website, I can find nearly every type of hymn except for the ones particularly dedicated to the Megalynaria in the Handbook.

      For example, on the Feast of the Indiction/St Symeon the Stylite is the following entry (accents not included):

      Της Ινδικτου.

      Αναρχε τρισηλιε Βασιλευ, ο καιρων και χρονων, τα; ελιξεις περισκοπων, ευλογησον τον κυκλον, της νεας περιοδου, τας αγαθας σου δοσεις πασι δωρουμενος.

      Του Οσιου.

      Στυλος εναρετου ωφθης ζωης, εν στυλω βιωσας, υπερ ανθρωπον Συμεων ενθεν αμοιβων σου, τας υπερ νουν ελλαμψεις, εκθαμβως εξαστραπτεις εις κοσμον απαντα.

      Where do I find this set of hymns? Thanks! -Anthony
    • bakcornett
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
        Michael,

        Thank you for the reply. I am aware of Fr. Seraphim's wonderful work, and use his Octoechos translations often. Unless I am missing something, the Megalynaria I had in mind weren't part of the Orthros batch, but rather Divine Liturgy. Can you clarify the suggestion?

        Thanks!

      • Michaelbeshonges@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
          http://newbyz.org/

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
            Thank you for your patience, but I still do not find the particular type of text mentioned in the original post within the contents of this link.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
              I believe the Menaion from Holy Transfiguration Monastery has these hymns.

              Presbyter John Whiteford
              St. Jonah Orthodox Church
              Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
              Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

              "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.

              ________________________________
[...]

              ogion.htm

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • polychrony
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2013
                These megalynaria, for each day of the year, often for multiple saints per day, were translated by Holy Transfiguration Monastery back in the late 1960's, early 1970's, as I recall. It is the only complete source that I have seen in English. This translation, however, to this date remains unpublished.

                I believe a few of the more popular ones have been done by newbyz.org and some other sites.

                Polychronios

                --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "bakcornett" <mikecornett@...> wrote:

                > Thank you for your patience, but I still do not find the particular type of text mentioned in the original post within the contents of this link.
                >

                > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Michaelbeshonges@ wrote:
                > >
                > > http://newbyz.org/

              • natwoon
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 15, 2013

                  Does anyone have a copy of these megalynaria available? Are they under copyright or can they be shared freely?