Re: [orthodox-readers] Re: Greetings

  • Rex Mauriello
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 15, 2012
      Well, that does pose a quandary. I'm not altogether familiar with Russian usage outside of the pontifical liturgy, but in Antiochian usage - for both Orthodox and Catholic - the subdiaconate may, when there is no deacon, read the litanies before the Great Entrance, assist with the distribution of the Eucharist (he is handed the Species through the doors, having received outside of them), may handle the precious vessels, and, if properly approved may read - not sing - the Gospel and give a homily. A priest once told me that he should read the homily plainly and facing the throne, or at least where it would be, but I think it's a might preposterous.

      The Typikon should give you a better idea on what to do specifically. More importantly, it may tell you what NOT to do.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 16, 2012
        Richard, congratulations on your 'elevation'! I think the best course is to consult (by mail or phone) with the bishop who will be ordaining you as subdeacon, and ask him what the difference will be in the way you serve. In my experience in the USA there is no difference at all between a reader and a subdeacon except that the sd gets to wear a crossed orarion when serving with a priest. When the bishop comes to call it is somewhat (!) different....He gets to hold a candle or two or three!

        Rdr. james morgan
        Olympia,WA USA

      • rdmauriello@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 16, 2012
          James,

          Xpistos Avesti!

          When I was a subdeacon I ceased doing readings and started assisting more as a "lesser deacon." That's why I suggest a printed, acceptable typikon.

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T