ToneTutor 101 - An Audio Course in the Eight Tones of the Russian Orthodox Church

  • Michaelbeshonges@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2011
      http://www.ocrb.org/collections/frontpage/products/tonetutor101

      www . ocrb . org

      ToneTutor 101 - An Audio Course in the Eight Tones of the Russian Orthodox Church

      If you’ve ever wanted to learn the eight tones of the Russian Orthodox Church, now you can! ToneTutor 101 gives you private lessons in the comfort of your home or car. Experienced chanters walk you through the melody line of the tones, one musical phrase at a time, with quizzes along the way to check your progress.

      Examples by both male and female chanters
      The most advanced course of its kind – over 9 hours of audio content
      Entirely audio-based – learn in your car or while you work!
      Includes a 30-minute refresher course containing four-part choral examples

      Based on the time-tested system used at Holy Trinity Seminary in New York, ToneTutor 101 is an effective tool to help you master the tones and have fun doing so. Whether you’re a beginning chanter or an experienced choir director, ToneTutor 101 was created with you in mind.

    • B B A
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2011
        Anybody know if it comes with matching sheet music? $80 is kind of steep, but I have never seen anything else that even attempts to do this.

        To: orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2011
          The FAQ page has a similar question -

          'Where can I find the notes to the hymns?

          While there are several minor differences in style and harmonization, we recommend the Eight Tones Vigil Music arranged by Dr. Timothy Clader, published by the Saint John of Kronstadt Press (www.sjkp.com).'

          I suppose the price of $80.00 is the only way the workmen will receive their hire. Compared to what is available (which is almost next to nothing systematic, i.e. other than an older recording by Jason Reissland), this is superb!

          Sell your bed and buy the recording!
        • hierodeaconvasyl@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2011
            It would be nice if our parishes could buy these as a resource for our readers and choirs.
            Sent from my BlackBerry® by Boost Mobile
          • natwoon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 25, 2012
              I've received the CDs and I find them fantastic - They are really useful to have and wonderful instructional matetials I wished I had years ago.

              I have two related question that I hope the priests and others who know more would be able to help me with.

              1)What is the relationship between these chants and that comonly called Obikhod/ St Petersburg Court chant?

              2)rom what I understand, the words for the texts used are to be found in the SJOKP published materials. Are there any other tetxts published by Jordanville ?