Subdeacons manual

  • Andrew Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2011
      Hi all,

      I don't think I've introduced myself - I'm a subdeacon in Brisbane,
      Australia, and was made a reader and subdeacon in April this year.

      I know that this is only somewhat connected with this list, but I'm running
      out of places to look: I'd like to know if anyone on the list has a
      comprehensive guide for subdeacons floating around - or knows where I might
      be able to obtain the Sokolov manual?

      Thanks!
      Andrew Smith.

    • Andrew Morgan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2011
        Hi Andrew,

        Greetings from down south.

        I got a couple of copies of the sokolov book from stspress.com a few years
        back but it is no longer on their site. When looking I found the address for
        the author so you may want to try him directly (pasted below).

        The other thing you can do is look for a service book in english from
        svspress or stspress - I found one a few years back designed for priests and
        deacons in the OCA but it had all the rubrics for serving with a bishop
        included which was really helpful for a subdeacon.

        There is also a document on Rubrics on Hirerchical Services at
        http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/hierarchical_services_rubrics.htm

        The http://www.holytrinitymission.org/ site has some really good resources
        online for free.

        In Christ,

        Subdeacon Andrew Morgan
        (Sydney, Australia)

        A Subdeacon's Manual*A Subdeacon's Manual* is a guide for subdeacons and
        servers at hierarchical services according to the Slavic tradition. Complete
        rubrics for the Divine Liturgies, All-Night Vigil, The Liturgy of
        Presanctified Gifts, When the Primate of the Church Presides, Ordinations,
        and others. With diagrams and illustrations and an illustrated glossary.

        Written by Subdeacon Christopher Kirill Sokolov with illustrations by Helena
        Kos.

        A draft edition is available for $10.00. For information on availability and
        ordering information, write to csokolov@....

      • ireneolinyk@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
          Isn't the Sokolov book available online in Russian?

          --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Morgan <andmorg@...> wrote:

          > Hi Andrew,
          >
          > Greetings from down south.
          >
          > I got a couple of copies of the sokolov book from stspress.com a few years
          > back but it is no longer on their site. When looking I found the address for
          > the author so you may want to try him directly (pasted below).
          >
          > The other thing you can do is look for a service book in english from
          > svspress or stspress - I found one a few years back designed for priests and
          > deacons in the OCA but it had all the rubrics for serving with a bishop
          > included which was really helpful for a subdeacon.
          >
          > There is also a document on Rubrics on Hirerchical Services at
          > http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/hierarchical_services_rubrics.htm
          >
          > The http://www.holytrinitymission.org/ site has some really good resources
          > online for free.
          >
          > In Christ,
          >
          > Subdeacon Andrew Morgan
          > (Sydney, Australia)
          >
          > A Subdeacon's Manual*A Subdeacon's Manual* is a guide for subdeacons and
          > servers at hierarchical services according to the Slavic tradition. Complete
          > rubrics for the Divine Liturgies, All-Night Vigil, The Liturgy of
          > Presanctified Gifts, When the Primate of the Church Presides, Ordinations,
          > and others. With diagrams and illustrations and an illustrated glossary.
          >
          > Written by Subdeacon Christopher Kirill Sokolov with illustrations by Helena
          > Kos.
          >
          > A draft edition is available for $10.00. For information on availability and
          > ordering information, write to csokolov@...
          >
          > On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Andrew Smith
          > <andrew@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I don't think I've introduced myself - I'm a subdeacon in Brisbane,
          > > Australia, and was made a reader and subdeacon in April this year.
          > >
          > > I know that this is only somewhat connected with this list, but I'm running
          > > out of places to look: I'd like to know if anyone on the list has a
          > > comprehensive guide for subdeacons floating around - or knows where I might
          > > be able to obtain the Sokolov manual?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Andrew Smith.

        • Michael McBride
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2011
            I purchased a copy of A Manual of the Church's Divine Services (Sokolof) about 2 weeks ago.  It is $14.

            http://www.sjkp.org/search.php?static=2536

            Mike McBride

            Live without pretending, love without depending, listen without defending and speak without offending.  Anon.

            ________________________________
            Isn't the Sokolov book available online in Russian?

            --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Morgan <andmorg@...> wrote:

            > Hi Andrew,
            >
            > Greetings from down south.
            >
            > I got a couple of copies of the sokolov book from stspress.com a few years
            > back but it is no longer on their site. When looking I found the address for
            > the author so you may want to try him directly (pasted below).
            >
            > The other thing you can do is look for a service book in english from
            > svspress or stspress - I found one a few years back designed for priests and
            > deacons in the OCA but it had all the rubrics for serving with a bishop
            > included which was really helpful for a subdeacon.
            >
            > There is also a document on Rubrics on Hirerchical Services at
            > http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/hierarchical_services_rubrics.htm
            >
            > The http://www.holytrinitymission.org/ site has some really good resources
            > online for free.
            >
            > In Christ,
            >
            > Subdeacon Andrew Morgan
            > (Sydney, Australia)
            >
            > A Subdeacon's Manual*A Subdeacon's Manual* is a guide for subdeacons and
            > servers at hierarchical services according to the Slavic tradition. Complete
            > rubrics for the Divine Liturgies, All-Night Vigil, The Liturgy of
            > Presanctified Gifts, When the Primate of the Church Presides, Ordinations,
            > and others. With diagrams and illustrations and an illustrated glossary.
            >
            > Written by Subdeacon Christopher Kirill Sokolov with illustrations by Helena
            > Kos.
            >
            > A draft edition is available for $10.00. For information on availability and
            > ordering information, write to csokolov@...
            >
            > On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Andrew Smith
            > <andrew@...>wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I don't think I've introduced myself - I'm a subdeacon in Brisbane,
            > > Australia, and was made a reader and subdeacon in April this year.
            > >
            > > I know that this is only somewhat connected with this list, but I'm running
            > > out of places to look: I'd like to know if anyone on the list has a
            > > comprehensive guide for subdeacons floating around - or knows where I might
            > > be able to obtain the Sokolov manual?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Andrew Smith.

          • nickofmyra
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2011
              Brothers,

              here is a link to a pdf of an late 1800's edition.

              http://www.archive.org/details/amanualoftheorth00sokouoft

              It is complete, in english and a good quality scan.

              In Christ

              Fr Paul