Re: A Reader in the Orthodox Church

  • James
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2011
      PS As to speed in reading things, one might ask various members of the congregation if they are comprehending what you are reading, particularly things like the six psalms and the epistle.

      Rdr. James morgan

      --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "mshorthose" <treacleshouse@...> wrote:

      > ......I think to record oneself in action and listen back critically is a good idea.
      > Maybe hide a video camera under the choir desk for this purpose and listen at home afterwards.
      > In this way I determined that my reading of prayers was too fast.
      > While it was perfectly understandable, it sounded rushed and I really wasn't aware of this and the Priest had made no comment.
      >
      > Finally, as has already been said.
      > Prepare, prepare, prepare.
      > Read through everything - you never know when some weird name is going to take you by surprise at the very least.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > The inadequate and sinful reader,
      > Martin
    • Alex Langley
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 27, 2011
        Remember, brothers, we know that our church reading and church singing
        are not a performance.

        As readers, we are co-servants with the other clergy and the choir of
        that parish to HELP PEOPLE PRAY and prepare to receive the Eucharist.

        Some people just don't have the talent to tone-match. Musicians will
        have to decide how much to let this be a bother.

        One could certainly decide that tone-challenged clergy is not a big
        issue in the grand scheme of things. God will sooner hear that which
        is prayed with humility of heart than that which is proudly intoned
        beautifully according to human ears.

        Sometimes charity means "putting up" with clergy whose voices are less
        than lovely....to us. For clergy, charity might mean putting up with
        a reader who thinks he knows better.

        When I have directed choirs, there have been times when I'ved tuned
        the choir up or down to match the clergy. I find that causes less
        frustration for those who find such dissonance frustrating. This
        generally is during litanies, the conversational parts, and as a
        musician, it's easy for me to do.

        As for seeking feedback when reading, that's a good idea. I would
        start with my priest, then choir director or other reader or clergy,
        and friends. If all that seems to be unhelpful or the clergy seem to
        lack knowledge or interest, then this group is a good resource, but we
        are not here to learn something so that we can change the priest and
        make him the priest we would like him to be.

        God gives us the priest and parish we have, warts and all.

        Serve all faithfully the best you can.

        Rdr. Alexander

        You make some good points here, especially in your second paragraph,
        on choosing the reciting notes. Problem arises (as I have
        experienced!) with tone-challanged clergy who land on whatever pitch
        is handy, regardless of what choir is singing! Can get almost anarchic
        at times. But shrug and go onward and upward!

        Also, might help if choir rehearses with priest and vice versa, from
        time to time...Personally I've found that that helps a lot.

        Rdr. James