Re: The matins during Great Lent

  • pravoslavney
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22 6:59 PM
      I've tried to fill the blanks for you I hope you can figure it out!
      Since you don't have a complete Menaion one can create a service from the General Menaion which has services to the different ranks of saints, if need be, to fill those spaces for Stichera,Hymns, Troparions and Kontakions from:
      http://st-sergius.org/services.html (General Menaion)
      Other resources in French:
      http://www.saintjonah.org/services/french.htm
      Rdr Timothy Tadros

      -- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Katembue" <jeanserge21@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >

      > I'm posting this because I could find no indication on this group or in other parts abut conducting matins during Great Lent as a reader service. Please, forgive me but I have a terminology in French.

      Ø I do this in this way
      Ø (The usual beginning should be done unless preceded by another service. Like Vespers or Midnight office)

      > 1) 6 psalms
      >
      > 2) 12 "kyrie eleison" (for the great ecteny)

      Ø 3) the alleluya with its verses (In the tone of the Week)
      Ø followed by what are called in French the "Triadiques" and that chage according to the tone of the week

      Ø 4)3 kyrie eleison? for a small ecteny maybe? (12)
      Ø Glory…. Both now….

      Ø 5) then I read the 3 cathism of the Triodon (Psalter)
      Ø and sessional hymns

      Ø 6) psalm 50
      But beginning with the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee and continuing through the 5th Sunday of Lent, immediately after the 50th Psalm we sing the following:

      Tone 8: Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
      The doors of repentance do Thou open to me, O Giver of life, * for my spirit waketh at dawn toward Thy holy temple, * bearing a temple of the body all defiled. * But in Thy compassion cleanse it * by the loving-kindness of Thy mercy.
      Both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
      Theotokion: Guide me in the paths of salvation, O Theotokos, * for I have defiled my soul with shameful sins, * and have wasted all my life in slothfulness, * but by thine intercessions * deliver me from all uncleanness.
      Tone 6: Have mercy on me, O God, * according to Thy great mercy; * and according to the multitude of Thy compassions, * blot out my transgressions.
      When I think of the multitude of evil things I have done, * I, a wretched one, * I tremble at the fearful day of judgment; * but trusting in the mercy of Thy loving-kindness, * like David do I cry unto Thee: * Have mercy on me, O God, * according to Thy great mercy.

      Ø 7) then the canon of the Triodon with the "magnificat" between ode 8 and 9 [note that I do not have the Menelogion the book with the services -vespers and matins- of daily saints; how should I insert the canon, cathisms etc for the saints of the day if I had this book?]
      (Scriptual Odes)

      Choir: Lord, have mercy. Twelve Times.

      Senior Reader: O Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us.

      Choir: Amen.

      Then we begin the canon. After the 3rdand 6th odes:

      Choir: Lord, have mercy. Thrice
      Senior Reader: Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.
      Choir: Amen.
      After the 8th Ode of the canon, we sing:

      Choir: We praise, we bless, we worship the Lord, praising and supremely exalting Him unto all ages. And then the appointed katavasia.

      And we sing the Song of the Most Holy Theotokos (the Magnificat) (on great feasts special megalynaria are sung instead of the Magnificat):

      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, * and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      And after each verse, the refrain: More honorable than the Cherubim, * and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim; * who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, * the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.
      For He hath looked upon the lowliness of His handmaiden; * for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. Refrain.
      For the Mighty One hath done great things to me, * and holy is His name; * and His mercy is on them that fear Him * unto generation and generation. Refrain.
      He hath showed strength with His arm, * and He hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their heart. Refrain.
      He hath put down the mighty from their seat, * and exalted them of low degree; * He hath filled the hungry with good things, * and the rich He hath sent empty away. Refrain.
      He hath holpen His servant Israel * in remembrance of His mercy, * as He spake to our fathers, * to Abraham and his seed forever. Refrain.

      After the 9th ode:
      Choir: Lord, have mercy. Thrice
      Senior Reader: Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.
      Choir: Amen.

      > 8) After the canon is finished 3 kyrie eleison

      Ø 9) the photagogikon (i.e the song that substitute the exapostiliarion during Lent)

      > 10)I read the psalms of the "Laudes" (I do not know the English name. Globally, the words of this part are "may anything breathing praise the Lord, praise the Lord etc")
      >
      > 11) the little doxology
      >
      > 12) 3 kyrie eleison

      Ø 13) and now the "Apostiches" with it's verses
      Reader: It is good to give praise unto the Lord, and to chant unto Thy name ,O Most High, to proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night. Twice
      Trisagion….
      After Our Father
      Reader: O Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on us.
      Amen
      Standing in the temple of thy glory, we seem to stand in heaven; O Theotokos, gate of Heaven, open to us the door of thy mercy.
      Choir: Lord, have mercy. Forty Times
      Senior Reader: Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.
      Choir: Amen.
      More honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim; who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.

      Amen
      O Heavenly King, strengthen Orthodox Christians, establish the Faith, subdue the nations, give peace to the world, keep well this holy habitation ( or city, or village, or monastery); settle our departed fathers and breathern in the tabernacles of the righteous, and receive us coming in penitence and confession, for Thou art good and the lover of mankind.

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
      Lord have mercy. (Thrice)
      O Lord, Bless.

      Ø 14) Saint Ephrem's prayer with twelve reverences
      Ø the Whole prayer again

      : O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, for the sake of the prayers of Thy most pure Mother, of our holy and God-bearing fathers, of _____ (The Patron of the Temple ), of _____ (saints of the day), and all the saints, have mercy on us and save us, for Thou art good and the Lover of mankind.

      Choir: Amen.

> [...]

      Choir: Amen.
      More honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim; who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.

      Amen
      O Heavenly King, strengthen Orthodox Christians, establish the Faith, subdue the nations, give peace to the world, keep well this holy habitation ( or city, or village, or monastery); settle our departed fathers and breathern in the tabernacles of the righteous, and receive us coming in penitence and confession, for Thou art good and the lover of mankind.

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
      Lord have mercy. (Thrice)
      O Lord, Bless.

      Ø 14) Saint Ephrem's prayer with twelve reverences

      ( If your going to read First Hour then go directly there or conclude with below: