Re: [orthodox-readers] Becoming a tonsure reader

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 22, 2011
      There are some files here that may be of use, if you can figure out how to get them working properly... and if you do, let me know:

      http://saintjohnwonderworker.org/Readersclass.htm

      Presbyter John Whiteford
      St. Jonah Orthodox Church
      Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

      "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 22, 2011
        It might be a useful exersize if we listed the various things a read ideally should know. I'll start:

        1. How to put the services together.
        2. The 8 tones, and how to chant his way through a vigil and liturgy.
        3. The basics of how to serve in the Altar.

        And here are things I think a reader should acquire:

        1. A copy of the Epistle Lectionary used in his parish.
        2. The Horologion.
        3. The Psalter.
        4. The Lenten Triodion.
        5. The Pentecostarion.
        6. The Festal Menaion.
        7. The Order of Divine Services.
        8. The Hapgood Service Book.
        9. The Sunday Octoechos.

        Any additions?

        Presbyter John Whiteford
        St. Jonah Orthodox Church
        Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

        "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.
      • Timothy Copple
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 22, 2011
          On 1/22/2011 11:20 AM, Philip Silouan Thompson wrote:
          > And there's an implicit assumption in many people's minds that
          > I'm one day going to be ordained (good grief, /why?/). So don't be in a
          > hurry to get clothed in black. If your priest wants it done, then he
          > sees a need in the parish, and you may be useful in filling that need.
          > Otherwise, being tonsured is just more stress - and more people thinking
          > for no reason that you must be spirichul, which messes with your head :-\

          I've been asked more than once when I'm going to become a priest. Not
          only because I'm a reader, but I used to be a pastor in my former tradition.

          But I don't get asked that much anymore, and I've remained a tonsured
          reader since being ordained such in 1998. It can be done. :)

          If God wants me there, it will happen. But I see no reason to run toward
          it. God will use me wherever he puts me.

          And I learned much as others here say, by helping, learning from
          mentors, and my own practice on the tones. And I still have much to learn.

          --
          Timothy Copple
          http://www.orthodoxconvert.info
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2011
            there is a short notice about Dr. Eve Tibbs being tonsured as a Reader by Metropolitan Anthony (GOA/EP), June 8,2003.

            http://www.stpaulsirvine.org/html/parishhistory.htm

            Also pictures:
            http://www.stpaulsirvine.org/25thanniversary/P1010064.JPG

            And if that doesn't work via the Wayback machine:
            http://web.archive.org/web/http://www.stpaulsirvine.org/25thanniversary/DSC01313.JPG

            Irene
          • Charles
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2011
              I like to thank everyone for their input. I will definitely look into all my options.

              Charles