Re: [orthodox-readers] Paraklesis when there is no priest

  • Philip Silouan Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 17, 2011
      On 1/17/11 7:24 PM, natwoon wrote:
      > Could anyone explain how one does a Paraklesis when there is no priest? I have not found any text in any service books that explains how this is done. I have been told that the portions siad by the priest are replaced by Lord have mercies either 3 or 12 times. Can anyone on this list explain what is the done thing?

      What we do here is either serve Small Compline as a reader service
      <http://www.saintjonah.org/services/compline.htm> and insert the canon
      at the usual place, or use use Fr John Whiteford's outline "The Order
      for Reading Canons and Akathists When Alone
      <http://www.saintjonah.org/services/order.htm>"

      In Christ,

      Silouan

    • Steve Robinson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 17, 2011
        Hi Nathaniel,
        In general the small litanies are replaced by 3 Lord have mercies, the litanies are replaced by 12 LHM's and the Great Ektenias are replaced by 40 LHM.
        The end of the “Our Father” is replaced by “Through the prayers of our holy fathers have mercy on us” and “Father bless” is replaced by “Bless, O Lord” and followed by “Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, have mercy on us and save us”.
        The Gospel is read from the kliros with the priest’s parts deleted as in the Typika reader’s service.
        I think this is correct,
        Sdn. Steven

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2011
          Try this offering by Archimandrite Ephrem Lash.
          Notes are given for usage without a Priest.
          (This is a Paraklesis to the Theotokos)

          http://www.anastasis.org.uk/lit-parak.htm

          In Christ,

          Martin

          --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "natwoon" <natwoon@...> wrote:

          > Dear all,
          >
          > Could anyone explain how one does a Paraklesis when there is no priest? I have not found any text in any service books that explains how this is done. I have been told that the portions siad by the priest are replaced by Lord have mercies either 3 or 12 times. Can anyone on this list explain what is the done thing?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Nathaniel

        • natwoon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 18, 2011
            Martin, Steve and Silouan,

            Many thanks for all the help - we are trying to be more faithful is saying the supplicatory canon to the Theotokos. Please keep me in your prayers. Our Metropolitan made me a reader on the 25th Dec(NS)and there is so much that I still need to learn.

            Nathaniel
          • Steve Robinson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 19, 2011
              Axios, Nat! I’ve been “reading” for 12 years and still learn new stuff.
              s-p

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 19, 2011
                Someone may have already mentioned this, but you can use this text do a paraklesis:

                http://www.saintjonah.org/services/moleben.htm

                The moleben and the paraklesis are essentially the same service, the only difference being that the Greeks typically do not limit themselves to the refrains of the canon, and they add in the megalynarion of the saint.

                The Prayerbook from Holy Transfiguration Monastery can give you guidance on how to do a paraklesis to the Theotokos, according to Greek practice.

                Presbyter John Whiteford
                St. Jonah Orthodox Church
                Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
                Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

                "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.

                > “reading” for 12 years and still learn new stuff.
                >
                > s-p

              • Deacon Michael Bishop
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 19, 2011
                  I've been tonsured a reader 7 December 1986 and ordained a deacon 23
                  September 2007 and I feel as if I know almost nothing. During this time
                  I also helped to train deacons and priests. One deacon and I tell
                  people that we taught each other everything that we know about being a
                  deacon. This is a slight exaggeration, but there is certainly some
                  truth to this. When he was ordained, I taught him a few things and then
                  centuries later when I was ordained, he taught me things.

                  We do not receive our orders for what we have done, but for what we are
                  needed to do. This was made clear to me today when I showed up at my
                  cathedral for Liturgy and was told that I'm the only deacon and it was a
                  Slavonic Liturgy. I was told that they were just so happy to have a
                  deacon serving. Later another deacon arrived, thank God.

                  Reader Nathaniel, may the Lord God remember your ministry in His kingdom.

                  Deacon Michael

                  --
                  Deacon Michael Bishop
                  PO Box 23485

                  See you at the Russian Festival
                  14-16 October 2011
                • Deacon Philip Turner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 20, 2011
                    Reader Nathaniel,

                    I can only concur with what Deacon Michael has said. As we continue to learn, our lives and our faith continues to be renewed by new insights and new depth of meaning. Understanding that we do not know everything but are still learning helps us to remain humble as we serve God and our neighbours.

                    May God grant you many years!

                    Deacon Philip