Daily Readings Sample From DYNAMIS Orthodox Christian Bible Reading Commentary

  • Michaelbeshonges@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23 3:38 PM
      SUBSCRIPTION DETAILS BELOW

      Isaiah 43:9-14 SAAS First Reading at Great Vespers: Great-Martyr and
      Healer Panteleimon (7/27)

      9 All the nations are gathered together, and the rulers shall be
      assembled from among them.
      Who will declare these things or tell us things from the beginning? Let
      them bring forth their
      witnesses, and be proven right; and let them speak the truth.
      10 'You are My witnesses, and I am a witness,' says the Lord God, 'and
      My Servant whom I
      chose, that you may know and believe, and understand that I am He.
      Before Me there was no
      other God, nor shall there be after Me.
      11 I am God, and besides Me there is no one who saves.
      12 I proclaimed, and I saved. I denounced foreign gods so there were
      none among you. You are
      My witnesses, and I am a witness,'says the Lord God.
      13 'Even from the beginning, there is no one who can deliver out of My
      hands; I will work, and
      who will reverse it?'
      14 Thus says the Lord God who redeems you, the Holy One of Israel: 'For
      you sake I will send to
      Babylon and arouse all who flee, and the Chaldeans shall be bound in ships.'
      Isaiah 43:8-14 (7/25-8/7)
      First Vesperal Reading: Great Martyr and Healer Panteleimon

      God Is The Lord: Isaiah 43:8-14, especially vs.10: "'You are My
      witnesses, and I am a witness,' says the Lord God, 'and My Servant whom
      I chose, that you may know and believe, and understand that I am He.
      Before Me there was no other God, nor shall there be after Me.'"

      In the first verse of this reading the Prophet Isaiah sketches the
      active proceedings of a court in current session wherein "All the
      nations are gathered together..." (vs. 9). Long after Isaiah, who
      prepared for the coming of Christ, and well after the time that the Lord
      Jesus walked among us, only one court ever has remotely approached the
      status of a world judicial body for all nations and rulers - The
      Permanent Court of International Justice now operating in the
      Netherlands at the Hague. Yet, in terms of the criteria outlined in the
      opening verse, even this legal body does not approach Isaiah's sketch of
      the ultimate tribunal to be convened by God at the end of all time.

      In the balance of the passage, God speaks for Himself, challenging us to
      inquire, "Who is the God that Isaiah served as a court reporter? Who is
      the ruling God that laid down the criteria for the last great
      tribunal?" Isaiah spoke of rulers "...assembled from among them..."
      (vs. 9), that is, rulers from the all the nations. The people of the
      world have had a diversity of cultural, religious, or ideological
      "gods," but God the Ruler speaks here to His people and calls them "My
      witnesses" (vss. 10,12). He is the God of ancient Israel and the
      Church, the only God (vs. 10).

      Surely, the God we know in the Church chooses His own witnesses; for He
      is "...the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by
      Christ Jesus..." (1 Pt. 5:10). And He called us "...according to His
      own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus..." (2 Ti. 1:9).

      In addition, our God clearly separates Himself from any other ruler,
      norm, teaching, or ideology (may we say gods?) that ever has had or may
      ever claim supremacy over men's hearts, minds, and wills. "Before Me
      there was no other God, nor shall there be after Me" (Is. 43:10).

      Our God also names His prime witness - our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus
      Christ: "...My Servant whom I chose, that you may know and believe, and
      understand that I am He" (vs. 10). It is the dogma of the Church that
      Isaiah's suffering Servant is this very Christ our God.

      To underscore God's point concerning Christ, He also declares that "I am
      God, and besides Me there is no one who saves" (vs. 11). The Divinity
      of Christ Jesus - one, co-eternal, and consubstantial with the Father -
      uniquely includes Him within the Godhead of the One God Who saves,
      exactly as Saint John Chrysostom expresses it in the preface to his
      anaphora: "...for thou art God ineffable, inconceivable, invisible,
      incomprehensible, ever-existing and eternally the same, thou and thine
      only-begotten Son and thy Holy Spirit." Christ is God our Savior!

      In summation before the last, eternal, and ultimate court, God reminds
      us of the record of history, substantiating His place as Savior and God:
      "'I proclaimed, and I saved. I denounced foreign gods so there were
      none among you. You are My witnesses, and I am a witness,' says the
      Lord God" (vs. 12). The entire scope of history is covered, "Even from
      the beginning..." (vs. 13).

      Using the word 'redeems' (vs. 14), God identifies Himself as the Savior
      Who obtained our release from the evil powers of sin and death. Hold
      Christ in mind. He is the One Who, "...having forgiven you all
      trespasses, [and] having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that
      was against us, which was contrary to us...has taken it out of the way,
      having nailed it to the cross" (Col. 2:13,14). Our God not only redeems
      us 'from' slavery, but also gives complete redemption that provides us a
      free opportunity 'for' becoming His own sons and daughters.

      Shelter us, O God, in the shelter of Thy wings; drive away from us every
      enemy and foe; make our life peaceful; have mercy on us and save our
      souls, for Thou art a merciful God.

      HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
      Take the following actions, you will be enrolled as a regular reader.

      First: Send a "subscribe" email message to:
      orthodoxdynamis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Second. NOTE WELL: When you hear from yahoogroups, be sure to reply as the
      computer asks, for your reply automatically verifies to the machine that you wish to
      subscribe. This double step protects our readers, for it prevents others from signing up
      those who may not want to subscribe. Follow the two steps above and you will begin
      receiving the daily mailings.

      If you do not begin receiving the daily emails, let me know: dynamis@...

      David at DYNAMIS