Re: Epistle

  • larrymost2002
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
      -
      GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST - GLORY TO HIME FOREVER

      I know how to chant the Epistle in the Slavic Custom, but I really
      don't know how to explain it on line. Would it be possible to ask
      your Priest, or perhaps someone in your congretation if they know
      how it is done. I know that when it is chanted in that fashion, it
      is very meaningful. Good Luck and God Bless

      Sub-deacon Larry

      -- In orthodox-readers@y..., "mpup" <mpup@y...> wrote:
      > What is the proper way for a reader to read (chant) the Epistle in
      the
      > Divine Liturgy according to slavic custom?
    • Alex Vallens
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
        In Slavic churches, the Epistle is typically chanted, but I don't
        believe there is no 'prescribed' manner of doing so. One usually would
        begin by chanting in monotone, because that's the easiest. With
        practice, one may then use some minor inflection at logical breaks in
        the text, typically at significant punctuation marks. An experienced
        reader may use an ascending inflection, beginning at a low note and
        ascending one note at each aforementioned 'logical break'. This latter
        practice is typically used by Slavic deacons, but does not constitute a
        prescribed manner.

        I hesitate to suggest any particular custom as being identifiably
        Slavic. Not having studied the subject, I don't consider myself
        qualified to do so. However, from observation I have not determined any
        particular custom as being accepted in the Slavic churches.

        With love in Christ,
        Reader Alex

        On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 07:08 PM, mpup wrote:

        > What is the proper way for a reader to read (chant) the Epistle in the
        > Divine Liturgy according to slavic custom?

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • James Morgan
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
          If no one answered you privately, I'll go public in my ignorance!

          I myself chant the epistle mainly on one note, with a simple inflection at
          the main phrases and end of sentences. I extend the last one, to let the
          priest know (if he doesn't already!) that this is the end of the epistle
          passage.

          Some use a rising pitch, starting on a very low note at the beginning, and
          rising by half-steps to the last sentence, where one goes up a full step.
          Has to be heard to be appreciated.....don't try this one at home!

          There was a rather long thread on this on the Ustav list, I believe, some
          time ago. Might look in their archives.....

          Rdr. James Morgan
          Olympia, WA

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
            James Morgan wrote:

            > There was a rather long thread on this on the Ustav list, I believe,
            > some
            > time ago. Might look in their archives.....

            Indeed there was. IIRC, the conclusion was that the rising stair-step
            pattern is actually not such a good thing, as it is operatic and tends
            to draw attention from the reading to the reader. The Epistle reading
            should rather be done by normal chanting: non-melodic, but inflected
            just as everyone has been describing so far to mark breaks, especially
            the end (which serves a practical as well as an aesthetic purpose).
            Inflection can help in conveying the sense of the text, but one should
            be careful not to impose his own interpretation thereby--keeping it
            plainer/simpler will help avoid the problem.

            -- Stephen in NC (Rdr Joseph)
          • Timothy Copple
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
                --- Stephen B Parsons <arimath1@...> wrote:

                IIRC, the conclusion was that the
                > rising stair-step
                > pattern is actually not such a good thing, as it is
                > operatic and tends
                > to draw attention from the reading to the reader.

                Tony adds:

                I tend to concur. I tend to get distracted from the
                meaning of the text, instead wondering if the reader
                will manage to finish the epistle before he starts
                sounding like Minny Mouse on helium. I think its more
                important to read in such a way that preserves for the
                hearer the natural clauses of the text, thus making
                the epistle as heard more understandable.

                Reader Antony

                http://health.yahoo.com