Epistle

  • mpup
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2002
      What is the proper way for a reader to read (chant) the Epistle in the
      Divine Liturgy according to slavic custom?
    • larrymost2002
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
        -
        GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST - GLORY TO HIME FOREVER

        I know how to chant the Epistle in the Slavic Custom, but I really
        don't know how to explain it on line. Would it be possible to ask
        your Priest, or perhaps someone in your congretation if they know
        how it is done. I know that when it is chanted in that fashion, it
        is very meaningful. Good Luck and God Bless

        Sub-deacon Larry

        -- In orthodox-readers@y..., "mpup" <mpup@y...> wrote:
        > What is the proper way for a reader to read (chant) the Epistle in
        the
        > Divine Liturgy according to slavic custom?
      • Alex Vallens
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
          In Slavic churches, the Epistle is typically chanted, but I don't
          believe there is no 'prescribed' manner of doing so. One usually would
          begin by chanting in monotone, because that's the easiest. With
          practice, one may then use some minor inflection at logical breaks in
          the text, typically at significant punctuation marks. An experienced
          reader may use an ascending inflection, beginning at a low note and
          ascending one note at each aforementioned 'logical break'. This latter
          practice is typically used by Slavic deacons, but does not constitute a
          prescribed manner.

          I hesitate to suggest any particular custom as being identifiably
          Slavic. Not having studied the subject, I don't consider myself
          qualified to do so. However, from observation I have not determined any
          particular custom as being accepted in the Slavic churches.

          With love in Christ,
          Reader Alex

          On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 07:08 PM, mpup wrote:

          > What is the proper way for a reader to read (chant) the Epistle in the
          > Divine Liturgy according to slavic custom?

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • James Morgan
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
            If no one answered you privately, I'll go public in my ignorance!

            I myself chant the epistle mainly on one note, with a simple inflection at
            the main phrases and end of sentences. I extend the last one, to let the
            priest know (if he doesn't already!) that this is the end of the epistle
            passage.

            Some use a rising pitch, starting on a very low note at the beginning, and
            rising by half-steps to the last sentence, where one goes up a full step.
            Has to be heard to be appreciated.....don't try this one at home!

            There was a rather long thread on this on the Ustav list, I believe, some
            time ago. Might look in their archives.....

            Rdr. James Morgan
            Olympia, WA

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
              James Morgan wrote:

              > There was a rather long thread on this on the Ustav list, I believe,
              > some
              > time ago. Might look in their archives.....

              Indeed there was. IIRC, the conclusion was that the rising stair-step
              pattern is actually not such a good thing, as it is operatic and tends
              to draw attention from the reading to the reader. The Epistle reading
              should rather be done by normal chanting: non-melodic, but inflected
              just as everyone has been describing so far to mark breaks, especially
              the end (which serves a practical as well as an aesthetic purpose).
              Inflection can help in conveying the sense of the text, but one should
              be careful not to impose his own interpretation thereby--keeping it
              plainer/simpler will help avoid the problem.

              -- Stephen in NC (Rdr Joseph)
            • Timothy Copple
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
                  --- Stephen B Parsons <arimath1@...> wrote:

                  IIRC, the conclusion was that the
                  > rising stair-step
                  > pattern is actually not such a good thing, as it is
                  > operatic and tends
                  > to draw attention from the reading to the reader.

                  Tony adds:

                  I tend to concur. I tend to get distracted from the
                  meaning of the text, instead wondering if the reader
                  will manage to finish the epistle before he starts
                  sounding like Minny Mouse on helium. I think its more
                  important to read in such a way that preserves for the
                  hearer the natural clauses of the text, thus making
                  the epistle as heard more understandable.

                  Reader Antony

                  http://health.yahoo.com