Question on liturgical services (censing)

  • orthodoxe65
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
      Dear brothers,
      I have a liturgical question for you all; according to the Typikon when is a priest supposed to use the censer during the services of:

      1 - Molieben/Paraklesis

      2 - Panichida/Parastas

      3 - Akathists

      I have seen some priests to cense the icon on analogion or the memorial table during the whole service while some others using the censer to cense the temple and the people only during the Kondakion (or some other occasions that now I don't rember). What does the Typikon say about this? Are there some diferences between Russian and Greek practise?

      Thank you to everyone,
      in Christ

      Albert Deluan
    • Giansergio
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2010
        Dear Albert,

        I use some resources in Spanish translated from Arabic. Antiochian practices are close to Greek ones. The censing takes place according to the indications after the ninth ode of the paraclesis when the following words are said for the Theotokos : "Axion estin" or "Dostoino...", in English something like "It is truly... more honorable than the Cherubins and more glorious than the Seraphins".

        I remember that a Georgian priest I know censes at the same moment.

        Jean-Serge