First impression of St. Tikhon's Apostol

  • Symeon Noon
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2009
      Readers and Others,

      I've just received my copy of the 2nd edition Apostol (hardbound) from
      St. Tikhon's. I'm not familiar with the 1st edition, it being
      unavailable for so long, and have been using a Kinkos-bound samizdat
      Apostol based on the KJV text. I have an Greek-style Apostol, but
      that's not suitable for use in my Russian parish (and I don't really
      like it much, anyway). My only other data point as to Epistle books is
      the Slavonic volume at my parish (I think this was from Jordanville,
      "way back when"). This all as background for my report here of my first
      impressions of the new volume.

      First, I'm thrilled to finally be able to use a "real" Apostol for the
      English readings in church (although the samizdat wasn't bad, really, if
      not very beautiful, and it's acquired my marginalia over the years).
      The layout is in the Russian manner, with a continuous Epistle text and
      prokeimena, etc., in the back. The text of the Epistles is in a
      dignified, thee/thou style, and loses the KJV's "bowels of mercies" sort
      of anachronisms. I've not made any detailed study of the translation
      yet, but from style the "proclaimability" of the little I've gone
      through is very promising. Sometimes, though, I find the diction of the
      Psalm verses used in prokeimena and allelulias a tad prosaic, sometimes
      slightly clumsy; I may engage in some tactical tweaking to them along
      the way. In all, the text looks like it will work well for me.

      My very *first* impression of the new tome, however, was: wow, is this
      *heavy*! Holding it by itself for reading is probably okay; but I
      usually have a Slavonic book with me as well, and this will be a
      challenge. Of my various (mostly minor) criticisms so far of the book,
      this is the only potential deal-breaker I see. The paper is probably
      too heavy, and will be a strain on the binding -- which already has a
      split in the front of the volume. Time will tell how this goes.

      The paper is glossy and a bit sticky. There's also, after a day, still
      noticeable out-gassing, but I expect this to diminish quickly. I'd much
      prefer a non-glossy finish, as glare could be a problem under some
      lighting conditions. Also, penciling-in notes and subsequent erasures
      won't be as easy as with other paper.

      The serifed typefaces are good, and the size is appropriate for the task
      (larger than a "normal" book); print is in black and gray. It looks as
      if it may have been prepared on a computer as black and *red*, but
      printed in monochrome, probably because of cost. While red would have
      worked well for the rubrics (that's why rubrics are RUBrics, right?),
      the gray is rather light and doesn't scan well. In short bursts for the
      occasional heading it's okay, but in longer stretches it can get hard to
      read without some attention, especially in poorer light. It should have
      been easy enough to have darkened this up a bit.

      I'll start using this Apostol and see how it works in practice.

      In Christ,

      Symeon

      St. Seraphim's, Monterey, California (ROCOR)
    • Alex Langley
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 6, 2009
        Dear Symeon,

        Thank you for the review!

        One thing I'm still waiting to find out from others is if they have fixed the typos. Have you by any chance found any? I've read others complaints about the lack of red for the rubrics. I imagine they were trying to cut costs.

        Anyway, thanks again!

        Rdr. Alexander

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 6, 2009
          I think they fixed any typos that were in the original text, but they revised the text very thoroughly to make its style more consistently of traditional English... and so there is always the possibility that new typos have found there way into the text.  I have not seen any typos yet myself, but I have seen a few readings I would have done differently.  I have in mind the use of the word "Preceptors" in Hebrews 13, rather than the more traditional "them that have the rule over you".

          All in all, I think it is a good text, but I agree that the text is very heavy due to the selection of paper.  It looks to be about half as big as the previous edition, but it is heavier.

          As for the prokimena... I always insert my own text into the Apostol for each service... and so if you do not like the translation in the text, that is what I would suggest.

          Fr. John Whiteford

          St. Jonah Orthodox Church

          Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

> [...]

          > won't be as easy as with other paper.
          >
          > The serifed typefaces are good, and the size is appropriate for the task
          > (larger than a "normal" book); print is in black and gray.  It looks as
          > if it may have been prepared on a computer as black and *red*, but
          > printed in monochrome, probably because of cost.  While red would have
          > worked well for the rubrics (that's why rubrics are RUBrics, right?),
          > the gray is rather light and doesn't scan well.  In short bursts for the
          > occasional heading it's okay, but in longer stretches it can get hard to
          > read without some attention, especially in poorer light.  It should have
          > been easy enough to have darkened this up a bit.
          >
          > I'll start using this Apostol and see how it works in practice.
          >
          > In Christ,
          >
          > Symeon
          >
          > St. Seraphim's, Monterey, California (ROCOR)

          ogion.htm

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • natwoon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 12, 2009
            Symeon and Fr. John,

            Thanks for the review of the Apostol. I hope to obtain one soon.

            Regards,

            Nathaniel in Malaysia
          • natwoon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 20, 2009
              Deal all,

              I've just received a copy of the Apostol and it is THE heaviest liturgical book I have ever handled in my life... I wish there were rubrics in red - but will have to live with what is available. The text seems to read quite smoothly - form the few parts that I treid reading aloud and chanting.

              I am looking forward to seeing the Gospel book by STS

              Nathaniel in Malaysia
            • Steve Robinson
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 20, 2009
                Ah... you must not have the unabridged Great Horologion yet.
                If you work out with the Apostol you'll be able to handle it in a couple years. :)
                Sdn. s-p

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 21, 2009
                  Hi Steve,

                  If u mean the HTM Great Horologion, you are right, I have not had to work with that volume yet... I've seen it though as a friend donated a copy to the parish in Singapore. It is heavy but very beautifully produced.

                  It's according to the Greek/Byzantine yypikon though so not that useful for a parish using the Russian typikon I presume?

                  These books are just too costly to order and I normally have them ordered thru folks who go to the States. International shipping rates are really too expensive.

                  Nathaniel in Malaysia