Re: Does St. Tikhon's press have an affordably priced Gospel Book for sale?

  • natwoon
    Message 1 of 14 , May 11 3:21 AM
      Hi Fr. John,

      Father bless!

      Christ is risen!

      Thanks for the information - I will try to get a copy of the Apostol at some point in time. They are costly for us here in Malaysia but not impossible to purchase. We just have to plan better.

      These Liturgical books are so necessary but not easily availabel - and we hav som many English speaking parishes and missions all over the world. I guess unless a press in the US takes the lead, we will not have anything much to use.

      I sometimes wonder if the various presses - canonical and non-canonical could just parcel out the work and then we could most probably have a set of what is necessary... sometimes there seems to be needless duplication of effort.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 11 3:36 AM
        That, I do not know.

        Fr. John Whiteford

        St. Jonah Orthodox Church

        <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

        > The Apostol is revised very extensively from the previous edition, and it
        much more consistent in its use of traditional English than the previous
        edition.

        > I can't say for sure when the Gospel book might be available... but
        one could hope it might be done in a year or so.  I know that they are working
        on it.

        > In Christ,
        >
        > Fr. John Whiteford

        > St. Jonah Orthodox Church
        >
        > Parish Home Page: http://www.saintjonah.org/

        > Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

        ogion.htm

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Symeon Noon
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2009
          Readers and Others,

          I've just received my copy of the 2nd edition Apostol (hardbound) from
          St. Tikhon's. I'm not familiar with the 1st edition, it being
          unavailable for so long, and have been using a Kinkos-bound samizdat
          Apostol based on the KJV text. I have an Greek-style Apostol, but
          that's not suitable for use in my Russian parish (and I don't really
          like it much, anyway). My only other data point as to Epistle books is
          the Slavonic volume at my parish (I think this was from Jordanville,
          "way back when"). This all as background for my report here of my first
          impressions of the new volume.

          First, I'm thrilled to finally be able to use a "real" Apostol for the
          English readings in church (although the samizdat wasn't bad, really, if
          not very beautiful, and it's acquired my marginalia over the years).
          The layout is in the Russian manner, with a continuous Epistle text and
          prokeimena, etc., in the back. The text of the Epistles is in a
          dignified, thee/thou style, and loses the KJV's "bowels of mercies" sort
          of anachronisms. I've not made any detailed study of the translation
          yet, but from style the "proclaimability" of the little I've gone
          through is very promising. Sometimes, though, I find the diction of the
          Psalm verses used in prokeimena and allelulias a tad prosaic, sometimes
          slightly clumsy; I may engage in some tactical tweaking to them along
          the way. In all, the text looks like it will work well for me.

          My very *first* impression of the new tome, however, was: wow, is this
          *heavy*! Holding it by itself for reading is probably okay; but I
          usually have a Slavonic book with me as well, and this will be a
          challenge. Of my various (mostly minor) criticisms so far of the book,
          this is the only potential deal-breaker I see. The paper is probably
          too heavy, and will be a strain on the binding -- which already has a
          split in the front of the volume. Time will tell how this goes.

          The paper is glossy and a bit sticky. There's also, after a day, still
          noticeable out-gassing, but I expect this to diminish quickly. I'd much
          prefer a non-glossy finish, as glare could be a problem under some
          lighting conditions. Also, penciling-in notes and subsequent erasures
          won't be as easy as with other paper.

          The serifed typefaces are good, and the size is appropriate for the task
          (larger than a "normal" book); print is in black and gray. It looks as
          if it may have been prepared on a computer as black and *red*, but
          printed in monochrome, probably because of cost. While red would have
          worked well for the rubrics (that's why rubrics are RUBrics, right?),
          the gray is rather light and doesn't scan well. In short bursts for the
          occasional heading it's okay, but in longer stretches it can get hard to
          read without some attention, especially in poorer light. It should have
          been easy enough to have darkened this up a bit.

          I'll start using this Apostol and see how it works in practice.

          In Christ,

          Symeon

          St. Seraphim's, Monterey, California (ROCOR)
        • Alex Langley
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 6, 2009
            Dear Symeon,

            Thank you for the review!

            One thing I'm still waiting to find out from others is if they have fixed the typos. Have you by any chance found any? I've read others complaints about the lack of red for the rubrics. I imagine they were trying to cut costs.

            Anyway, thanks again!

            Rdr. Alexander

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 6, 2009
              I think they fixed any typos that were in the original text, but they revised the text very thoroughly to make its style more consistently of traditional English... and so there is always the possibility that new typos have found there way into the text.  I have not seen any typos yet myself, but I have seen a few readings I would have done differently.  I have in mind the use of the word "Preceptors" in Hebrews 13, rather than the more traditional "them that have the rule over you".

              All in all, I think it is a good text, but I agree that the text is very heavy due to the selection of paper.  It looks to be about half as big as the previous edition, but it is heavier.

              As for the prokimena... I always insert my own text into the Apostol for each service... and so if you do not like the translation in the text, that is what I would suggest.

              Fr. John Whiteford

              St. Jonah Orthodox Church

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12, 2009
                Symeon and Fr. John,

                Thanks for the review of the Apostol. I hope to obtain one soon.

                Regards,

                Nathaniel in Malaysia
              • natwoon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 20, 2009
                  Deal all,

                  I've just received a copy of the Apostol and it is THE heaviest liturgical book I have ever handled in my life... I wish there were rubrics in red - but will have to live with what is available. The text seems to read quite smoothly - form the few parts that I treid reading aloud and chanting.

                  I am looking forward to seeing the Gospel book by STS

                  Nathaniel in Malaysia
                • Steve Robinson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 20, 2009
                    Ah... you must not have the unabridged Great Horologion yet.
                    If you work out with the Apostol you'll be able to handle it in a couple years. :)
                    Sdn. s-p

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 21, 2009
                      Hi Steve,

                      If u mean the HTM Great Horologion, you are right, I have not had to work with that volume yet... I've seen it though as a friend donated a copy to the parish in Singapore. It is heavy but very beautifully produced.

                      It's according to the Greek/Byzantine yypikon though so not that useful for a parish using the Russian typikon I presume?

                      These books are just too costly to order and I normally have them ordered thru folks who go to the States. International shipping rates are really too expensive.

                      Nathaniel in Malaysia