Re: Does St. Tikhon's press have an affordably priced Gospel Book for sale?

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2009
      I hope they have a stronger binding than the old one, and more durable ribbons too!
      Rdr. James
      olympia WA

      --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John Whiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

      > The Apostol is revised very extensively from the previous edition, and it much more consistent in its use of traditional English than the previous edition.
      >
      > I can't say for sure when the Gospel book might be available... but one could hope it might be done in a year or so.  I know that they are working on it.
      >
      > In Christ,
      >
      > Fr. John Whiteford
      >
      > St. Jonah Orthodox Church
      >
      > Parish Home Page: http://www.saintjonah.org/

      > Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

    • natwoon
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2009
        Hi Fr. John,

        Father bless!

        Christ is risen!

        Thanks for the information - I will try to get a copy of the Apostol at some point in time. They are costly for us here in Malaysia but not impossible to purchase. We just have to plan better.

        These Liturgical books are so necessary but not easily availabel - and we hav som many English speaking parishes and missions all over the world. I guess unless a press in the US takes the lead, we will not have anything much to use.

        I sometimes wonder if the various presses - canonical and non-canonical could just parcel out the work and then we could most probably have a set of what is necessary... sometimes there seems to be needless duplication of effort.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2009
          That, I do not know.

          Fr. John Whiteford

          St. Jonah Orthodox Church

          <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

          > The Apostol is revised very extensively from the previous edition, and it
          much more consistent in its use of traditional English than the previous
          edition.

          > I can't say for sure when the Gospel book might be available... but
          one could hope it might be done in a year or so.  I know that they are working
          on it.

          > In Christ,
          >
          > Fr. John Whiteford

          > St. Jonah Orthodox Church
          >
          > Parish Home Page: http://www.saintjonah.org/

          > Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

          ogion.htm

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Symeon Noon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2009
            Readers and Others,

            I've just received my copy of the 2nd edition Apostol (hardbound) from
            St. Tikhon's. I'm not familiar with the 1st edition, it being
            unavailable for so long, and have been using a Kinkos-bound samizdat
            Apostol based on the KJV text. I have an Greek-style Apostol, but
            that's not suitable for use in my Russian parish (and I don't really
            like it much, anyway). My only other data point as to Epistle books is
            the Slavonic volume at my parish (I think this was from Jordanville,
            "way back when"). This all as background for my report here of my first
            impressions of the new volume.

            First, I'm thrilled to finally be able to use a "real" Apostol for the
            English readings in church (although the samizdat wasn't bad, really, if
            not very beautiful, and it's acquired my marginalia over the years).
            The layout is in the Russian manner, with a continuous Epistle text and
            prokeimena, etc., in the back. The text of the Epistles is in a
            dignified, thee/thou style, and loses the KJV's "bowels of mercies" sort
            of anachronisms. I've not made any detailed study of the translation
            yet, but from style the "proclaimability" of the little I've gone
            through is very promising. Sometimes, though, I find the diction of the
            Psalm verses used in prokeimena and allelulias a tad prosaic, sometimes
            slightly clumsy; I may engage in some tactical tweaking to them along
            the way. In all, the text looks like it will work well for me.

            My very *first* impression of the new tome, however, was: wow, is this
            *heavy*! Holding it by itself for reading is probably okay; but I
            usually have a Slavonic book with me as well, and this will be a
            challenge. Of my various (mostly minor) criticisms so far of the book,
            this is the only potential deal-breaker I see. The paper is probably
            too heavy, and will be a strain on the binding -- which already has a
            split in the front of the volume. Time will tell how this goes.

            The paper is glossy and a bit sticky. There's also, after a day, still
            noticeable out-gassing, but I expect this to diminish quickly. I'd much
            prefer a non-glossy finish, as glare could be a problem under some
            lighting conditions. Also, penciling-in notes and subsequent erasures
            won't be as easy as with other paper.

            The serifed typefaces are good, and the size is appropriate for the task
            (larger than a "normal" book); print is in black and gray. It looks as
            if it may have been prepared on a computer as black and *red*, but
            printed in monochrome, probably because of cost. While red would have
            worked well for the rubrics (that's why rubrics are RUBrics, right?),
            the gray is rather light and doesn't scan well. In short bursts for the
            occasional heading it's okay, but in longer stretches it can get hard to
            read without some attention, especially in poorer light. It should have
            been easy enough to have darkened this up a bit.

            I'll start using this Apostol and see how it works in practice.

            In Christ,

            Symeon

            St. Seraphim's, Monterey, California (ROCOR)
          • Alex Langley
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 6, 2009
              Dear Symeon,

              Thank you for the review!

              One thing I'm still waiting to find out from others is if they have fixed the typos. Have you by any chance found any? I've read others complaints about the lack of red for the rubrics. I imagine they were trying to cut costs.

              Anyway, thanks again!

              Rdr. Alexander

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2009
                I think they fixed any typos that were in the original text, but they revised the text very thoroughly to make its style more consistently of traditional English... and so there is always the possibility that new typos have found there way into the text.  I have not seen any typos yet myself, but I have seen a few readings I would have done differently.  I have in mind the use of the word "Preceptors" in Hebrews 13, rather than the more traditional "them that have the rule over you".

                All in all, I think it is a good text, but I agree that the text is very heavy due to the selection of paper.  It looks to be about half as big as the previous edition, but it is heavier.

                As for the prokimena... I always insert my own text into the Apostol for each service... and so if you do not like the translation in the text, that is what I would suggest.

                Fr. John Whiteford

                St. Jonah Orthodox Church

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 12, 2009
                  Symeon and Fr. John,

                  Thanks for the review of the Apostol. I hope to obtain one soon.

                  Regards,

                  Nathaniel in Malaysia
                • natwoon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 20, 2009
                    Deal all,

                    I've just received a copy of the Apostol and it is THE heaviest liturgical book I have ever handled in my life... I wish there were rubrics in red - but will have to live with what is available. The text seems to read quite smoothly - form the few parts that I treid reading aloud and chanting.

                    I am looking forward to seeing the Gospel book by STS

                    Nathaniel in Malaysia
                  • Steve Robinson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 20, 2009
                      Ah... you must not have the unabridged Great Horologion yet.
                      If you work out with the Apostol you'll be able to handle it in a couple years. :)
                      Sdn. s-p

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 21, 2009
                        Hi Steve,

                        If u mean the HTM Great Horologion, you are right, I have not had to work with that volume yet... I've seen it though as a friend donated a copy to the parish in Singapore. It is heavy but very beautifully produced.

                        It's according to the Greek/Byzantine yypikon though so not that useful for a parish using the Russian typikon I presume?

                        These books are just too costly to order and I normally have them ordered thru folks who go to the States. International shipping rates are really too expensive.

                        Nathaniel in Malaysia