Does St. Tikhon's press have an affordably priced Gospel Book for sale?

  • natwoon
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2009
      Dear all,

      I am looking for a reasonably priced Gospel and Apostol in English . As of now we have a copy of the Epistle Legionary and the Gospel Lectionary by CTOS. My priest tells me that it is often idiosyncratic. We got them because they were the most affordable and avilableones we could have for the mission. I now read the St. Tikhon's has an Apostle available soon - was there ever a Gospel book that matched it? is that available? I can't seem to locate that on the St. Tikhon's site.

      Please pardon me for all these questions I ask from time to time - we do not get to see what these books look like so your help and advice go a long to helping us order what is useful.

      Regards,

      Nathaniel in Malaysia
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2009
        St.Tikhon's has not published a Gospel Book as of yet.  They are planning on doing so, and it will be in traditional English, largely based on the KJV.

        Fr. John Whiteford

        St. Jonah Orthodox Church

        Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

        I am looking for a reasonably priced Gospel and Apostol in English . As of now
        we have a copy of the Epistle Legionary and the Gospel Lectionary by CTOS. My
        priest tells me that it is often idiosyncratic. We got them because they were
        the most affordable and avilableones we could have for the mission. I now read
        the St. Tikhon's has an Apostle available soon - was there ever a Gospel
        book that matched it? is that available? I can't seem to locate that on the
        St. Tikhon's site.

        Please pardon me for all these questions I ask from time to time - we do not
        get to see what these books look like so your help and advice go a long to
        helping us order what is useful.

        Regards,

        Nathaniel in Malaysia

        ogion.htm

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • natwoon
        Message 3 of 14 , May 9, 2009
          Thank you for the information Fr. John. I assume the Gospel Book will be similar in language with the Apostel that they are re-printing? Traditional English is fine with me.
          Message 4 of 14 , May 9, 2009
            The Apostol is revised very extensively from the previous edition, and it much more consistent in its use of traditional English than the previous edition.

            I can't say for sure when the Gospel book might be available... but one could hope it might be done in a year or so.  I know that they are working on it.

            In Christ,

            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2009
              I hope they have a stronger binding than the old one, and more durable ribbons too!
              Rdr. James
              olympia WA

              --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John Whiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

              > The Apostol is revised very extensively from the previous edition, and it much more consistent in its use of traditional English than the previous edition.
              >
              > I can't say for sure when the Gospel book might be available... but one could hope it might be done in a year or so.  I know that they are working on it.
              >
              > In Christ,
              >
              > Fr. John Whiteford
              >
              > St. Jonah Orthodox Church
              >
              > Parish Home Page: http://www.saintjonah.org/

              > Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

            • natwoon
              Message 6 of 14 , May 11, 2009
                Hi Fr. John,

                Father bless!

                Christ is risen!

                Thanks for the information - I will try to get a copy of the Apostol at some point in time. They are costly for us here in Malaysia but not impossible to purchase. We just have to plan better.

                These Liturgical books are so necessary but not easily availabel - and we hav som many English speaking parishes and missions all over the world. I guess unless a press in the US takes the lead, we will not have anything much to use.

                I sometimes wonder if the various presses - canonical and non-canonical could just parcel out the work and then we could most probably have a set of what is necessary... sometimes there seems to be needless duplication of effort.

                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2009
                  That, I do not know.

                  <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

                  > The Apostol is revised very extensively from the previous edition, and it
                  much more consistent in its use of traditional English than the previous
                  edition.

                  > I can't say for sure when the Gospel book might be available... but
                  one could hope it might be done in a year or so.  I know that they are working
                  on it.

                  > In Christ,
                  >
                  > Fr. John Whiteford

                  > St. Jonah Orthodox Church
                  >
                  > Parish Home Page: http://www.saintjonah.org/

                  > Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

                  ogion.htm

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Symeon Noon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 5, 2009
                    Readers and Others,

                    I've just received my copy of the 2nd edition Apostol (hardbound) from
                    St. Tikhon's. I'm not familiar with the 1st edition, it being
                    unavailable for so long, and have been using a Kinkos-bound samizdat
                    Apostol based on the KJV text. I have an Greek-style Apostol, but
                    that's not suitable for use in my Russian parish (and I don't really
                    like it much, anyway). My only other data point as to Epistle books is
                    the Slavonic volume at my parish (I think this was from Jordanville,
                    "way back when"). This all as background for my report here of my first
                    impressions of the new volume.

                    First, I'm thrilled to finally be able to use a "real" Apostol for the
                    English readings in church (although the samizdat wasn't bad, really, if
                    not very beautiful, and it's acquired my marginalia over the years).
                    The layout is in the Russian manner, with a continuous Epistle text and
                    prokeimena, etc., in the back. The text of the Epistles is in a
                    dignified, thee/thou style, and loses the KJV's "bowels of mercies" sort
                    of anachronisms. I've not made any detailed study of the translation
                    yet, but from style the "proclaimability" of the little I've gone
                    through is very promising. Sometimes, though, I find the diction of the
                    Psalm verses used in prokeimena and allelulias a tad prosaic, sometimes
                    slightly clumsy; I may engage in some tactical tweaking to them along
                    the way. In all, the text looks like it will work well for me.

                    My very *first* impression of the new tome, however, was: wow, is this
                    *heavy*! Holding it by itself for reading is probably okay; but I
                    usually have a Slavonic book with me as well, and this will be a
                    challenge. Of my various (mostly minor) criticisms so far of the book,
                    this is the only potential deal-breaker I see. The paper is probably
                    too heavy, and will be a strain on the binding -- which already has a
                    split in the front of the volume. Time will tell how this goes.

                    The paper is glossy and a bit sticky. There's also, after a day, still
                    noticeable out-gassing, but I expect this to diminish quickly. I'd much
                    prefer a non-glossy finish, as glare could be a problem under some
                    lighting conditions. Also, penciling-in notes and subsequent erasures
                    won't be as easy as with other paper.

                    The serifed typefaces are good, and the size is appropriate for the task
                    (larger than a "normal" book); print is in black and gray. It looks as
                    if it may have been prepared on a computer as black and *red*, but
                    printed in monochrome, probably because of cost. While red would have
                    worked well for the rubrics (that's why rubrics are RUBrics, right?),
                    the gray is rather light and doesn't scan well. In short bursts for the
                    occasional heading it's okay, but in longer stretches it can get hard to
                    read without some attention, especially in poorer light. It should have
                    been easy enough to have darkened this up a bit.

                    I'll start using this Apostol and see how it works in practice.

                    In Christ,

                    Symeon

                    St. Seraphim's, Monterey, California (ROCOR)
                  • Alex Langley
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 6, 2009
                      Dear Symeon,

                      Thank you for the review!

                      One thing I'm still waiting to find out from others is if they have fixed the typos. Have you by any chance found any? I've read others complaints about the lack of red for the rubrics. I imagine they were trying to cut costs.

                      Anyway, thanks again!

                      Rdr. Alexander

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 6, 2009
                        I think they fixed any typos that were in the original text, but they revised the text very thoroughly to make its style more consistently of traditional English... and so there is always the possibility that new typos have found there way into the text.  I have not seen any typos yet myself, but I have seen a few readings I would have done differently.  I have in mind the use of the word "Preceptors" in Hebrews 13, rather than the more traditional "them that have the rule over you".

                        All in all, I think it is a good text, but I agree that the text is very heavy due to the selection of paper.  It looks to be about half as big as the previous edition, but it is heavier.

                        As for the prokimena... I always insert my own text into the Apostol for each service... and so if you do not like the translation in the text, that is what I would suggest.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 12, 2009
                          Symeon and Fr. John,

                          Thanks for the review of the Apostol. I hope to obtain one soon.

                          Regards,

                          Nathaniel in Malaysia
                        • natwoon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 20, 2009
                            Deal all,

                            I've just received a copy of the Apostol and it is THE heaviest liturgical book I have ever handled in my life... I wish there were rubrics in red - but will have to live with what is available. The text seems to read quite smoothly - form the few parts that I treid reading aloud and chanting.

                            I am looking forward to seeing the Gospel book by STS

                            Nathaniel in Malaysia
                          • Steve Robinson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 20, 2009
                              Ah... you must not have the unabridged Great Horologion yet.
                              If you work out with the Apostol you'll be able to handle it in a couple years. :)
                              Sdn. s-p

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 21, 2009
                                Hi Steve,

                                If u mean the HTM Great Horologion, you are right, I have not had to work with that volume yet... I've seen it though as a friend donated a copy to the parish in Singapore. It is heavy but very beautifully produced.

                                It's according to the Greek/Byzantine yypikon though so not that useful for a parish using the Russian typikon I presume?

                                These books are just too costly to order and I normally have them ordered thru folks who go to the States. International shipping rates are really too expensive.

                                Nathaniel in Malaysia