Re: Just an introduction

  • Katembue
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2009
      Hello everybody,

      I live in France and belong to the GOC-CII with the nearest parishes
      in Germany and England. I started to make reader services probably in
      2007 reading the texts of vespers and matins when I have them. I try
      to follow Greek practices. My sources are in Spanish (translated from
      Arabic and downloadable on line) and in French (books bought in a
      classical library) and English to find explanations on how conducting
      the service. However, I do not use prayer texts in English. I'm here
      to learn how to conduct this service (following Greek practices if
      possible).

      Jean-Serge
    • Philip Silouan Thompson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2009
        Katembue wrote:
        > Hello everybody,
        >

        > I live in France and belong to the GOC-CII with the nearest parishes
        > in Germany and England. I started to make reader services probably in
        > 2007 reading the texts of vespers and matins when I have them. I try
        > to follow Greek practices. My sources are in Spanish (translated from
        > Arabic and downloadable on line) and in French (books bought in a
        > classical library) and English to find explanations on how conducting
        > the service. However, I do not use prayer texts in English. I'm here
        > to learn how to conduct this service (following Greek practices if
        > possible).

        Dear Jean-Serge,

        Our parish had its beginning in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North
        America. We prefer daily services but our priest is not always
        available, so a few days a week we have to do Vespers or Matins as
        reader services. Unfortunately, at least here in America, there is no
        Greek model for us to follow; Greek parishes here usually don't do
        reader services. There are Greek monasteries that have reader services,
        but they usually follow the Athonite (Sabaitic) typikon, not the
        Violakis typikon that Byzantine parishes use.

        So we have always followed the instructions at Father John Whiteford's
        excellent website: http://saintjonah.org/services - the reader
        instructions he gives are easy to follow, and you can integrate them
        into the texts you use in your own language. Of course, in order to be
        in obedience, you'll want to speak with your bishop and ask his blessing
        on what you do. He will let you know if anything is not satisfactory in
        Fr. John's instructions.

        As you mentioned, the Byzantine and Slavic rubrics are different. The
        Antiochian Bishop Basil (Essey) translated an excellent, very useful
        Liturgikon from Greek and other sources into English. It will be very
        helpful in identifying where the Byzantine and Slavic practices differ.
        Sadly this book is out of print, but used copies can be bought online:
        See http://tinyurl.com/liturgikon

        In Christ,

        Reader Silouan