yet another cassock question

  • Michael Simon
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
      i hope everyone is doing well. (not a lot of activity lately) just
      wanted to throw another cassock question out there. i have been
      looking for a cassock that is machine washable. i will be entering the
      seminary in another year and a half after i graduate. i think it would
      be better(cheaper) to have something that is machine washable since i
      will be wearing it all the time. any suggestions on places to buy and
      any fabrics that you guys recommend would be greatly appreciated.

      Humbly yours in Christ

      Rdr. Mike
    • Alexander Vallens
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
        Reader Mike,

        My wife and I are starting a business selling vestments and cassocks.
        We have some orders already completed, and are looking to expand our
        customer base. We offer what are called "wet silk" cassocks that are
        machine washable and virtually wrinkle-proof. We are currently asking
        $150 +shipping per cassock, which I believe you will find is below
        anything else you will find (if not, I want to know about the better
        deal!).

        Hope this helps!
        Dn. Alexander

        On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Michael Simon <mjs5168@...> wrote:
        > i hope everyone is doing well. (not a lot of activity lately) just
        > wanted to throw another cassock question out there. i have been
        > looking for a cassock that is machine washable. i will be entering the
        > seminary in another year and a half after i graduate. i think it would
        > be better(cheaper) to have something that is machine washable since i
        > will be wearing it all the time. any suggestions on places to buy and
        > any fabrics that you guys recommend would be greatly appreciated.
        >

        > Humbly yours in Christ
        >
        > Rdr. Mike
      • John Congdon
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
          I'd say machine washability is less important than just being careful. Remember, you'll be wearing this over other clothes, so keep yourself clean (shower and deodorant before matins!), try not to spill your food down your front at meals, hang it up in a well-ventilated area between services (in this case, to air is divine), and use a clothes brush (I use a stiff-bristled scrub brush) to get rid of dirt or dried mud when necessary.

          For occasional cleaning, microfiber cassocks and some wool/poly blends can usually be machine washed (delicate cycle, line dry); pure wool needs drycleaning.

          My wool/poly cassock is from Nikita Borisov (http://www.nikitatailor.net/), and my microfiber is from the nuns at Novo-Tikvin in Russia (http://www.sestry.ru/eng/content/obedience/sewing/products). The one from Nikita is somewhat nicer, but the one from the nuns is wonderfully cool in the summer and cost about half as much.

          Michael Simon <mjs5168@...> wrote:
          i hope everyone is doing well. (not a lot of activity lately) just
          wanted to throw another cassock question out there. i have been
          looking for a cassock that is machine washable. i will be entering the
          seminary in another year and a half after i graduate. i think it would
          be better(cheaper) to have something that is machine washable since i
          will be wearing it all the time. any suggestions on places to buy and
          any fabrics that you guys recommend would be greatly appreciated.

          Humbly yours in Christ

          Rdr. Mike

        • Deacon Michael Bishop
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
            When I was having a cassock made, I went to JoanAn Fabrics and told the
            sales person what I needed and she connected me with the fabric. I
            purchased it, turned it over to Vladimir, who sent it to his mother in
            Poland and she made the cassock.

            I think that the cassock that I now own is also machine washable. I got
            it from Nikita for $177.

            If you contact Istok and some of the other places, let them know that
            you want one that is machine washable and they probably can help you.
            Also, somebody at St. Tikhon's Monastery and somebody at New Sekete
            Monastery also make cassocks. They can probably accommodate your needs.

            Finally, look at what Deacon Alexander has to offer. His price is a
            steal. I will be writing to him about vestments in a few minutes.

            Deacon Michael

            --
            Deacon Michael Bishop
            PO Box 23485

            See you at the Russian Festival
            17-19 October 2008
          • Michael Simon
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
              do you have a website? if not what is your e-mail? and can you send
              me pictures of your work? also do you make greek style casocks?

              --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Vallens"