Re: [orthodox-readers] Proper Tone for Lord I have Cried?

  • Philip Silouan Thompson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2007
      Michael wrote:
      > In Byzantine practice, during weekday vespers, when we chant "Lord I
      > have cried...", do we use the tone of the week, or the tone of the
      > stichera (which are sometimes different from the tone of the week)?

      On a weekday, if there are only three stichera in the Menaion for the
      saint of the day, you'll first sing "Lord I have cried" and the first
      three stichera from the Octoechos in the tone of the week.

      If there are six or more stichera in the Menaion, then they'll replace
      the Octoechos stichera, and you'll sing "Lord I have cried" and all the
      Menaion verses in the tone specified in the Menaion.

      - Silouan