Need a crash-course in reading the Epistle according to the Greek practice

  • Alex Langley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hello fellow readers and clergy,

      I usually only read the Epistle in OCA parishes, but I have been
      invited to read the Epistle at a Greek parish soon. I am not very
      familiar with how the Prokeimenon, Epistle and Alleluia parts are done
      in Greek parishes.

      Would someone who knows for sure (a Greek priest, deacon or psaltis)
      please confirm or correct the following?

      0) I assume the reader goes the priest for a blessing before reading.
      At what point is this done, and does the reader hold the Epistle
      book while requesting the blessing as in Slavic practice?

      1) Reader intones the prokeimenon and verse, and the choir does not
      sing any responses, and nothing is repeated (different from Slavic
      practice). Does the priest say "Peace be with all" before this?

      2) Priest: "Let us be attentive!"

      3) Reader announces the reading (spoken not intoned)

      4) Priest: "Wisdom! Let us be attentive!"

      5) The Epistle is read in a speaking voice, and only the last sentence
      or phrase is intoned.

      6) The reader does not sing Alleluia or intone any verses at all.
      Rather, after the Priest says "Peace be with you the reader" the
      reader goes to receive (another?) blessing from the priest, while the
      choir sings a 3-fold Alleluia once.

      Thanks in advance for instructing me on the right way to go about this
      in a Greek parish.

      R. Alexander
    • Reader Andreas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
        Hi:

        I am a reader in a Greek Orthodox parish, so perhaps I can help - at least
        from my experience. Each parish may be different though, just ask the priest
        beforehand and he will let you know his preference. For example, the whole
        Epistle may be chanted and the Alleluia verses may be intoned as well.

        0) I always ask for a blessing during the Thrice-holy Hymn. Hold the book
        open to the pericope and the priest will bless with his hand, then kiss his
        hand and proceed to the center of the soleas.

        1) The deacon will intone "Let us be attentive," then the reader intones the
        prokeimenon once through.

        2) The deacon intones "Wisdom."

        3) The reader intones "The reading is from the Holy Apostle Paul's
        ...(relevant book)."

        4) The deacon again intones "Let us be attentive."

        5) Read the Epistle with at least the final sentence intoned.

        6) The priest will go to the middle of the Beautiful Gate and say "Peace be
        to you the reader," the reader should approach the priest with the closed
        book and allow the priest to bless, kiss his hand and reply "And to your
        spirit."

        In Christ,
        Andreas, Reader

        On 7/3/07, Alex Langley <alexlangley@...> wrote:

        > Hello fellow readers and clergy,
        >
        > I usually only read the Epistle in OCA parishes, but I have been
        > invited to read the Epistle at a Greek parish soon. I am not very
        > familiar with how the Prokeimenon, Epistle and Alleluia parts are done
        > in Greek parishes.
        >
        > Would someone who knows for sure (a Greek priest, deacon or psaltis)
        > please confirm or correct the following?
        >
        > 0) I assume the reader goes the priest for a blessing before reading.
        > At what point is this done, and does the reader hold the Epistle
        > book while requesting the blessing as in Slavic practice?
        >
        > 1) Reader intones the prokeimenon and verse, and the choir does not
        > sing any responses, and nothing is repeated (different from Slavic
        > practice). Does the priest say "Peace be with all" before this?
        >
        > 2) Priest: "Let us be attentive!"
        >
        > 3) Reader announces the reading (spoken not intoned)
        >
        > 4) Priest: "Wisdom! Let us be attentive!"
        >
        > 5) The Epistle is read in a speaking voice, and only the last sentence
        > or phrase is intoned.
        >
        > 6) The reader does not sing Alleluia or intone any verses at all.
        > Rather, after the Priest says "Peace be with you the reader" the
        > reader goes to receive (another?) blessing from the priest, while the
        > choir sings a 3-fold Alleluia once.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for instructing me on the right way to go about this
        > in a Greek parish.
        >
        > R. Alexander

      • Alex Langley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
          Thank you Andreas! That's exactly what I needed.

          R. Alexander

          --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Reader Andreas"