Troparia

  • futopillow2000
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 7:57 PM
      Christ is risen!

      Hello everyone, I am new to the group and while not a reader am
      interested in reading services at home due to going to a parish with
      Slavonic only services (i.e. reading more in understanding of the
      services).

      My question:

      Where in a menaion service description would I find the "Troparion".

      For example, in this service from the internet
      http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/saudrey.htm I note from
      other information that the verses in the canon are Troparia - so the
      plural of them, but if you are called to insert one, which would you
      pick?

      Hope you can help.

      In Christ,

      Andrew, Sydney Australia.
    • Theophan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 1:41 PM
        Andrew wrote, in part,

        Where in a menaion service description would I
        find the "Troparion".

        I'm not a Reader, either, and I hope someone more knowledgeable will reply.

        Briefly, I've been told that "troparion" is a very general term and refers
        to many short hymns called by many names ("stichera," for example, I've been
        told are a type of troparia). However, by "the" Troparion as you put it
        above, I gather you mean the troparion of the saint commemorated in that
        particular Menaion service. That's often called the Dismissal Troparion or,
        I believe, Apolytikion, though I might be wrong.

        That's usually at the end of Vespers in the Menaion services, so in the case
        of the service you linked-to, "the Troparion of Mother Audrey" would be:

        Troparion Tone VIII:

        In thee the Image of God was preserved, O noble Audrey,
        for thou didst take up thy cross and follow Christ.
        Royal virgin, thou didst teach the multitude by thine
        example that the flesh is to be scorned as fleeting,
        while the soul needeth great care as immortal. Wherefore,
        O holy Audrey, thou dost now make glad with the angels.

        Theophan Dort
      • futopillow2000
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7 6:04 PM
          Sorry for my delay and many thanks for your reply.

          That makes much sense now!

          Andrew