Update for 2007-08-27

  • Lana Krakovskiy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2007
      Greetings!

      I hope you've been enjoying your summer. I have been busy with work
      and family and preparing for an upcoming small recital -- more about
      that below. I want to point out a link in the links section, below,
      which is very dear to me -- Sasha Kantsberg's site. Enjoy!

      ORGANFOCUS NEWS:

      ** OrganPROMOTION is releasing a CD/DVD honoring Daniel Roth in
      September. Interviews with Daniel Roth in English and French and the
      DVD jacket may be viewed at this URL:

      ** Liudmila Matsiura sent me these videos of the First International
      Organ Festival in Alcala de Henares (Madrid, Spain):
      The first concert - GUY BOVET (Switzerland)
      http://www.musicaenalcala.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=355&Itemid=58
      The second concert - LIUMILA MATSYURA (Russia)
      http://www.musicaenalcala.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=360&Itemid=58

      ** Photos and program from Domitila Ballesteros' concert at XXI
      International Organ Festival of Montevidéu can be viewed here:
      http://www.ballesteros.mus.br/pages/ingles/uruguay-ing.html

      ** NEW LINKS:

      In Church Musician Resources:
      http://www.organfocus.com/links/index.php?CID=22

      **Hymns on the Pipe Organ - The site aims to provide quality hymn
      accompaniments for congregational singing. Public Domain hymns only,
      and as such are provided free of charge. All MP3 files (320 bits
      compression) can be freely downloaded.
      http://www.hymns-organ.com/

      In Choral Resources:
      http://www.organfocus.com/links/index.php?CID=1

      ** Composer Lior Navok - Music for orchestra, chamber music, choir, and more.
      http://www.liornavok.com/

      ** Sasha Kantsberg (Israel) - Official Website of Alexander (Sasha)
      Kantsberg – Choir Conductor, Big Band Leader, Teacher, Saxophonist and
      Arranger
      http://www.kantsberg.com/

      Sasha Kantsberg was my beloved conductor when I sang in a children's
      acapella choir in Rostov-on-Don, Russia. He is an extremely talented
      arranger, imaginative jazz musician, and most importantly (to me) a
      brilliant, inspiring choir conductor. I owe so much to him as a
      musician. To see old photos of our choir performing at the St.
      Petersburg capella and other venues, click here:
      http://www.kantsberg.com/gallery.htm

      There is also a video made from a movie about our choir, which was
      shown on Russian National TV in 1989:
      http://www.kantsberg.com/cd.htm -- scroll down to Video Tapes and
      click on Prelude (documentary film about Alexander's work with
      Children's Choir) – Rostov, Russia 1989

      In J.S. Bach sites:
      http://www.organfocus.com/links/index.php?CID=10

      Why Bach? - Why Bach? is an online appreciation of Bach's genius for
      the general reader. It features notated musical examples that play as
      a cursor follows along. Lively, incisive commentary uses colored text
      to call attention to specific events in the examples, giving the
      non-music reader a window into Bach's incomparable art.
      http://whybach.crosstownbooks.com/index.php

      Lana's review:
      I have looked at the free examples and loved the commentary. My only
      gripe is that all music is played back via software, which makes it
      sound kind of... dead. Especially since the aim of this project is to
      open the world of Bach to the general readers, it would have
      benefitted immensely from including clips of real performers playing
      on real instruments.

      WEB NEWS:

      ** Arthur LaMirande sent a link to this NY Times article.
      Unfortunately at the time I am writing this newsletter, the article is
      no longer free.

      Newspapers Trimming Classical Critics

      Classical music criticism, a high-minded endeavor that has been around
      at least as long as newspapers and reached an English-language peak
      with George Bernard Shaw, has taken a series of hits in recent months.
      Critics' jobs have been eliminated, downgraded or redefined at
      newspapers in Atlanta, Minneapolis and elsewhere ...
      http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F3061EF734540C7A8CDDAF0894DF404482

      TRAVEL NEWS:

      In a couple of weeks, I am going to be playing a small all-Bach
      recital in Nantucket, MA.

      The program:

      Prelude XXI from Well-Tempered-Clavier vol 1

      Schuebler-Chorales:
      Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme BWV 645
      Wo soll ich fliehen hin BWV 646
      Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu Christ BWV 649

      Orgelbuchlein:
      O Mensch, bewein dein Sunde gross BWV 622

      Fantasia super Komm, Heiliger Geist BWV 651a

      Fugue from Toccata and Fugue in F, BWV 540

      Comments/feedback on the program are welcome.

      Thanks and have a good week!

      Lana