Spinal injury and organ playing.

  • Howard Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2006
      Some years ago I attended a masterclass given by a well-known English cathedral organist
      who counselled us to be very attentive to our posture at the console. The ideal (where circumstances allow)
      is to have the seat at a height where the heels can comfortably reach the pedals and to sit far enough forward
      on the seat to be at the point of balance. The position of the seat may need to be adjusted to permit this.
      The back should be kept as straight as possible, even when reaching forward to the most distant manual.
      It still sounds like good advice to me.
    • David Trott
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2006
        Good morning ~

        When I was young and new to the organ,
        I was given the same sound advice Howard Hill
        has given. (Perhaps a UK standard ?)
        Many organs in earlier times had no balanced
        swell pedal ~ one needed to have good position
        and control the 'heavier swell boxes' !
        Also important not to spend one's time "hunched
        over the console".

        David Trott

        Some years ago I attended a masterclass given by a well-known English
        cathedral organist
        who counselled us to be very attentive to our posture at the console.
        The ideal (where circumstances allow)
        is to have the seat at a height where the heels can comfortably reach
        the pedals and to sit far enough forward
        on the seat to be at the point of balance. The position of the seat may
        need to be adjusted to permit this.
        The back should be kept as straight as possible, even when reaching
        forward to the most distant manual.
        It still sounds like good advice to me.

        Comments? Suggestions? Email me at webmaster@...

        Some longer links may be broken into 2 lines -- I try to prevent that
        from happening, but if it does, make sure to paste the entire link into
        your browser address bar.

        Please forward this newsletter to a friend or a colleague.

        ------------
        http://www.OrganFocus.com
        Pipe organ event listings worldwide

        Quick links:

        * See all upcoming events:
        http://www.organfocus.com/search.php3

        * Add your event:
        http://www.organfocus.com/entry_form.php3

        * Find sheet music for organ:
        http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/a/instru.html?id=74105&in=Organ

        * Find organ music recordings and books for organists:

        -- Books:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=organfocuscom&keyw
        ord=organist&mode=books

        -- CDs: