Re: [organfocus-newsletter] Scandinavian organ music - etc.

  • Christiaan Carstens
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2010
      Hallo Friends

      I would like to know where I can order the printed organ sheet music by
      Kverno and Nysted? Perhaps an address?

      Best wishes

      Christiaan Carstens
      ********************

      On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM, John Mingay <john.mingay@...>wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Following on from Lana's mention of Trond Kverno. I lived and worked
      > as an organist in Norway for over three years and a few other Norwegian
      > composers of distinctive organ music are Kjell Mork Karslen (his father
      > Rolf was organist of Oslo Cathedral), Knut Nystedt (the 'Veni Creator
      > Spiritus' Partita is stunning), Egil Hovland (Toccata on 'Now Thank we
      > all our God" - Nu las oss takke Gud - is a sure winner in any
      > programme). Of course there are many others but I do recommend almost
      > anything by these three.
      >
      > Inspirational letter from Jan..... thanks.
      > Excellent ideas from Csaba, not too practical for churches and smaller
      > institutions but wonderful in a few places. On a more humble level I'm
      > in the process of arranging a small church to invite children from the
      > local school to come and "have-a-go", to learn something about the
      > scope of the instrument, to blow down a few unused pipes, look inside,
      > enjoy the rumbles and the whistles, the louds and the softs and to hear
      > a couple of fun pieces. (Does anyone in the States know Nigel Ogden's
      > "Penguins Playtime" ?). I did a similar thing elsewhere a few years
      > ago but don't know what impact the experience had on the youngsters.
      > They were very enthusiastic at the time and it was a tiny part of their
      > education that would probably never have happened otherwise. Who knows
      > what 'spark' may eventually burst into flame!!
      >
      > Best wishes ..... John
      >
      > PS to LANA .......... Arthur invited me to get his email address from
      > you - yes please.

    • John Mingay
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2010
        Hello,

        Christiaan Carstens asked about music of Kverno etc.

        NORSK MUSIKFORLAG a/s are the publishers you need, sorry I have no
        address other than OSLO.
        Also available from AB Nordiska Musikforlaget, Stockholm / Wilhelm
        Hansen, Musik-Forlag, Copenhagen

        They publish works by Conrad Baden, Bjarne Slogedal, Stig Werno Holter
        plus those I mentioned in my previous message. and many more
        Of the previous (early 20th century) generation works by Ludwig
        Neilsen, Arild Sandvold and Finn Skottner are all worth looking at -
        even playing !!!

        The Swedish composer Oskar Lindberg (1887-1955) wrote a very attractive
        Sonata in G minor Opus 23 as well as the hauntingly lovely little piece
        called 'Gammal fabodpsalm',
        available from the Stockholm agent.

        Hope this helps................... John Mingay
      • Arthur LaMirande
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2010
          It's interesting that two works of Franz Schmidt --- Prelude and Fugue in A ("Weihnachtspastorale") and Der Heiland ist erstanden (The Saviour is risen) --- were published (for whatever reason) by Nordiska Musikforlaget, Stockholm.

          A.L.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2010
            Some years ago I was looking for contemporary Norwegian organ music
            for an anniversary program I was to play. I came across a Norwegian
            composers collective of some sort and received some music from one of
            their members, Kjell Habbestad. It appears to be self-published or
            perhaps published through this group that apparently receives some
            government support, as does most everything in Norway. An internet
            search or two might yield the connection to this group you may find
            useful.

            Gary Wood
            2220 E. Bradford Ave.
            Milwaukee, WI 53211