Re: [organfocus-newsletter] Update for 2010-03-14

  • Josephlindquist9@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2010
      Byrd, Froberger, etc., on a 19th-century American organ?!?  Cone on now.  There's better stuff to be heard on such an instrument.  Why not take a look at the completely neglected late-19th and early-20th century German repertoire?  Bunk (tremendous sonata in F minor, incredibly dramatic), Sattler (dynamic sonata in B flat minor), Wolfrum (four large-scale sonatas and a set of three liturgical vignettes), Riemann (colossal Ciacona in F minor, recently reissued by Barenreiter), Schmidt (numerous works, including the mind-blowing Chaconne in C sharp minor, considered by Walter Pach the greatest single work in the entire literature).  Sure, these all call for a bit more preparation and practice than do Byrd and Froberger - - - but the rewards are tremendous.  And such a relief from the usual Mendelssohn-Liszt-Reubke menu that we all know.  Get with it, girl.  Tell Bill that you're tired of the rinky-dinky rattletrap baroque barley sugar.  Get your mitts on some of these items I've mentioned (many of them are available through the OHS online catalogue).  Play some music that wiil do JUSTICE to the last surviving intact three-manual Erben anywhere.  GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Give Bill my regards - he might remember me, as I studied with George Powers 1985-1991 at First Prez.

      Joe ("The Sludge Monster") Lindquist
      Flushing, NY

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2010
        Posting this to the group--Thank you, Joe, for this great email. Love it!
        I agree that the Erben sounds great with 19-century repertoire,
        especially that of American composers like Dudley Buck. The organist
        at Old St. Patrick's, Jared Lamenzo, is a master of that :) But for
        now I am sticking to music before 1750 (with very few exceptions).
        That's what I really love, and where I feel I have something to say.
        There are talented musicians who will do the later music more justice
        than I could.

        PS and I think Froberger and Byrd do require lots of preparation,
        perhaps of a different kind.

        Cheers,
        Lana

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2010
          As you no doubt are aware, the American Guild of Organists Convention is in DC this year - in July.

          Which got me to thinking I might ask you - if are aware of organists
          and organs in DC that would provide me and my class in field recording
          an opportunity to experiment and record.

          Thanks for the change of topic,

          Jim Mastracco