Update for 2010-03-14

  • Lana Krakovskiy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2010
      Dear Friends,

      It's been a long long while... I hope you are doing well and making
      beautiful music.

      I apologize for not having answered some of your emails and requests.
      I have been busy learning to play the harpsichord, which has been my
      main focus for the year 2009 and up to now. You can listen to my
      recent recordings of Bach and Froberger (using historic fingering) on
      youtube:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4O6OzIHqy8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXn3BDRPh44

      But I am back in the organ world, rather I have never left--just kept
      it in my thoughts. In the works is a plan to perform an organ recital
      at Old St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC, where I will do music that's
      mostly keyboard-oriented. A Byrd Pavana and Galliarda, Froberger
      toccata, a Bach Partita, Buxtehude "Wie schön leuchtet der
      Morgenstern" and possibly Krebs. As I wrote previously, I am in awe
      with the Fuga Sopra il Magnificat, for its amazing section toward the
      end, where the chorale enters in the pedal. Critics discount this
      piece as "not consistently compelling", but I hope to infuse some
      excitement into the measures leading up to the big finale. Stay tuned
      for more.
      http://www.answers.com/topic/fugue-on-the-magnificat-meine-seele-erhebet-den-herren-for-organ-formerly-bwv-733

      I must also say that I am back to taking lessons at First Presbyterian
      Church with Dr. William Entriken, on the magnificent Gluck 4-manual
      organ. I remember when I started lessons on this organ back when it
      was still an Austin, and Sebastian Gluck & Gluck New York staff have
      infused it with a majesty and vibrancy that really makes the whole
      building sing.

      * Member News:

      ** Concert Organist Carol Williams is releasing her latest CD Carol
      Williams Plays, Volume 2, “Madness”.

      Dr Williams returned to Luxembourg to record at St. Martin’s Church in
      Dudelange. The organ was built in 1912 by the organ builder Georg
      Stahlhuth (1830-1913) and his son Eduard Stahlhuth (1862-1916). Thomas
      Jann in 2001 restored and returned the instrument to its former glory
      after various rebuilds. The present size of the organ is four manuals
      and ninety-four ranks in a fabulous acoustics.

      The CD features the new organ work by Karl Jenkins “The Madness of
      Morion” commissioned by the Spreckels Organ Society. Also the CD
      includes works by Philip Glass, Ponchielli, Fats Waller and much more.

      Available from http://www.melcot.com
      ----------------------
      ** Roman Krasnovsky played a fund-raiser concert for Typhoon Morakot
      victims at the Taipei National Concert Hall for an audience of 2,000
      people.

      Here are some videos and press coverage of the event
      http://www.youtube.com/user/romkrasorg
      http://www.ntch.edu.tw/englishProgram/show/40408e9623268809012330d0347d0131
      http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2009/11/12/2003458251

      ----------------------
      ----------------------

      * Web News:

      ** OrganFocus.com is going to be 10 years old this year! Thanks to the
      efforts and good will of musicians and aficionados around the world,
      we are now listing over 12,000 organ events in the archive. I think
      this is incredible and want to thank you for all your support.

      ** Organist Carpenter gives explosive recital inaugurating rebuilt instrument
      "The American organist brought his curious blend of commanding ability
      and self-indulgence to Fairview Park on Thursday to inaugurate Messiah
      Lutheran Church's rebuilt Schlicker/Hemry organ."
      http://www.cleveland.com/musicdance/index.ssf/2010/03/organist_carpenter.html

      ** Pipe organ gets a new sound
      "YAKIMA, Wash. -- This may be slightly unseemly, since it is a house
      of worship, after all, but this organ might just blow your socks off."
      http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2010/03/05/pipe-organ-gets-a-new-sound

      ** Laramie, WY: Organ series begins Sunday
      "The children can sit right nearby and watch what the organist does,
      and that’s half of the fun right there."
      http://www.laramieboomerang.com/articles/2010/03/14/news/doc4b9c61bbb494c519036852.txt

      Some thought-provoking news...

      ** Andantephone brings church organ into 21st century
      "Inventor Steve Mann unveils musical instrument that you can play by walking"
      article: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/778596--andantephone-brings-church-organ-into-21st-century
      video: http://www.thestar.com/videozone/778012--ambling-on-the-andantephone

      ** Triumph of the Cyborg Composer
      "David Cope’s software creates beautiful, original music. Why are
      people so angry about that?"
      http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture-society/triumph-of-the-cyborg-composer-8507/

      -----------------------

      Thanks for reading, and have a great week!
      Cheers,
      Lana
    • Josephlindquist9@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2010
        Byrd, Froberger, etc., on a 19th-century American organ?!?  Cone on now.  There's better stuff to be heard on such an instrument.  Why not take a look at the completely neglected late-19th and early-20th century German repertoire?  Bunk (tremendous sonata in F minor, incredibly dramatic), Sattler (dynamic sonata in B flat minor), Wolfrum (four large-scale sonatas and a set of three liturgical vignettes), Riemann (colossal Ciacona in F minor, recently reissued by Barenreiter), Schmidt (numerous works, including the mind-blowing Chaconne in C sharp minor, considered by Walter Pach the greatest single work in the entire literature).  Sure, these all call for a bit more preparation and practice than do Byrd and Froberger - - - but the rewards are tremendous.  And such a relief from the usual Mendelssohn-Liszt-Reubke menu that we all know.  Get with it, girl.  Tell Bill that you're tired of the rinky-dinky rattletrap baroque barley sugar.  Get your mitts on some of these items I've mentioned (many of them are available through the OHS online catalogue).  Play some music that wiil do JUSTICE to the last surviving intact three-manual Erben anywhere.  GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        Give Bill my regards - he might remember me, as I studied with George Powers 1985-1991 at First Prez.

        Joe ("The Sludge Monster") Lindquist
        Flushing, NY

[...]

        newsletter which will be sent out weekly or bi-weekly. If your ad is urgent or
        time-sensitive, please let me know.

        Please forward this newsletter to a friend or a colleague.

        ------------
        http://www.OrganFocus.com
        Pipe organ event listings worldwide

        Quick links:

        * See all upcoming events:
        http://www.organfocus.com/search.php3

        * Add your event:
        http://www.organfocus.com/entry_form.php3

        * Find sheet music for organ:
        http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/a/instru.html?id=74105&in=Organ

        * Shop for organ cds, books for organists, organist magazines and more:
        http://astore.amazon.com/organfocuscom

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        organfocus-newsletter-digest@yahoogroups.com
        organfocus-newsletter-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Lana Krakovskiy
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2010
          Posting this to the group--Thank you, Joe, for this great email. Love it!
          I agree that the Erben sounds great with 19-century repertoire,
          especially that of American composers like Dudley Buck. The organist
          at Old St. Patrick's, Jared Lamenzo, is a master of that :) But for
          now I am sticking to music before 1750 (with very few exceptions).
          That's what I really love, and where I feel I have something to say.
          There are talented musicians who will do the later music more justice
          than I could.

          PS and I think Froberger and Byrd do require lots of preparation,
          perhaps of a different kind.

          Cheers,
          Lana

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2010
            As you no doubt are aware, the American Guild of Organists Convention is in DC this year - in July.

            Which got me to thinking I might ask you - if are aware of organists
            and organs in DC that would provide me and my class in field recording
            an opportunity to experiment and record.

            Thanks for the change of topic,

            Jim Mastracco