Is our FairTax congressional support real?

  • bill spillane
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2012
      All great American Fairtaxers,

      ALL of you, no exceptions, are GREAT; some greater than others, but all great.

      Sadly, Steve Curtis is correct regarding so called, "FairTax Congressional Supporters": "If they are not talking about it, promoting it, and working to pass it, then they aren't really FairTax supporters."

      Consider, Sen. Saxby Chamblis (R-GA), original sponsor of S 13, the FairTax Bill  in the Senate, and Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK), co-sponsor and excellent defender of the FairTax when asked by constituents, are BOTH promoting the "Simpson-Bowles" solution to tax reform.

      Coburn's latest otherwise terrific book, "The Debt Bomb", promotes the Simpson-Bowles tax solution and never mentions the FairTax.

      Revelation: Congress is composed mostly of human beings, thus, they are interested in their own well being and, usually, re-election (Coburn talks extensively about "careerists" in Congress as a major cause of our fiscal mess, in his book.)

      If they want to get re-elected, besides meeting lots of people, they need MONEY to campaign. How to get it? Hmm. How about selling favors in the tax code; that should bring in in big contributions? (It does!)

      Hey, no one knows that it goes on; even, so called, smart pundits never talk about that!

      Why do you think that Rep.Paul Ryan's personal "Roadmap" for the American economy, which, before it went through the Repub caucus (excuse me, Repub Conference), said that the U.S. corporate tax rate should be ZERO (as does the FairTax); then, in the the caucus, they changed it to 25%?!!!

      Well, you can't sell tax favors if you have nothing to sell; a zero corporate tax rate leaves nothing to sell! Thus, they changed it to the 25% rate.

      It's perfect; no downside risk because only those flaky FairTaxers know about this - so Congress (both parties) goes for it. And the people don't know that corporate and all business taxes are passed on to the customer!

      Perfect! Tax those evil businesses; sell tax favors by selectively lowering contributor's tax rates; and reap the rewards of campaign contributions!

      In my opinion, until we tell the world about this, it won't change. "Earmarks", became a dirty word and Congress responded by cutting them (at least until no one is looking!)

      So, we need to make, "tax favors", or "tax earmarks", a pair of dirty words, too.

      All the best,
      Bill Spillane
      CA FairTax
      P.S. Rep. Ryan has now come off of his original "zero corporate tax rate" to one that is a huge improvement over current law, but is not the Republican House plan nor the superior FairTax method:
      "Replaces the corporate income tax – currently the second highest in the industrialized world – with a border-adjustable business consumption tax of 8.5 percent. This new rate is roughly half that of the rest of the industrialized world."