FairTax Letter Writing - Feb 28

  • Larry Whittington
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006

      Tip

      As you write a FairTax letter, state your premise in the first couple sentences.  Point up one or more of the FairTax selling points.  Back up your FairTax remarks with reasonable arguments.  Wrap up your letter with a closing statement.  Include www.fairtax.org somewhere in the text.

      Keep everything polite and professional.  You'll stand a much better chance of being published.

      http://www.nber.org/info.html , National Bureau of Economic Research

      http://papers.nber.org/papers/w11858 ,  "Simulating the Dynamic Macroeconomic and Microeconomic Effects of the FairTax"  (article abstract)
      The NBER is a heavyweight organization.  The Kotlikoff / Jokisch article from NBER carries a lot of weight.

      Quote from the article freely to make your point (always giving due credit to the authors and National Bureau of Economic Research).

      See also "The Coming Generational Storm" by Laurence J. Kotlikoff and Scott Burns.

      Letter Writing Opportunities

      The Patriot Post  www.patriotpost.us  (A highly respected website with a very large readership)

      recent Editor's Reply : "Raising revenue from a flat tax, like that proposed by HR25, to balance a bloated budget, will cause a revolution�which is why the only way to knock out Democrat supremacy is this legislative one-two punch. "

      The editor is on the right track with the suggestion about HR25.  He might need more information about HR25 to ensure his understanding that, yes, FairTax is a flat tax but that it applies only to consumption.

      He might also need to be led to understand that fixing one thing at a time is the only viable approach.. and FairTax must come first.
      Many of the other problems will sort themselves out once FairTax is in place.

      Respond to :

      Executive Editor, Mark Alexander, Letters@...

      letters@...        The Hill
      letters@...   Washington Post
      wsj.ltrs@...           Wall Street Journal
      letters@...     New York Times

      comments@...    phone  202-456-1111fax 202-456-2461

      http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/78.html, "State Business Tax Climate Index"

      Makes the very reasonable point that "companies will locate where they have the greatest competitive advantage."

      FairTax will apply that truth to the entire country.  FairTax will make America will be the best place in the world from which to run a business.  Global businesses will figure that out very quickly.  FairTax will drive business growth and job growth in America through the roof.

      Respond to :

      ahern@... ,  Communications Director
      dubay@... ,  Staff Economist
      fleenor@... , Chief Economist
      hodge@... ,  President

      letters@... ,       The Hill
      letters@... ,  Washington Post
      wsj.ltrs@... ,          Wall Street Journal
      letters@... ,    New York Times

      comments@...    phone  202-456-1111fax 202-456-2461

      Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
      - Benjamin Franklin

    • Andrew Fergus
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        Writer of the above to encourage sending a bundle of letters and other
        information out to places where more publicity and pressure may further
        the cause.

        I think some one like me might be able to do a little to
        influence some people, but I will need some simple straight on
        information, for myself and to use with others.

        We, Seniors may not be learned, or even have full computer
        knowledge or vocabulary to do the stuff you propose.

        BUT some of us do and can influence others by personal e-mail and other
        wise, and vote. Basic information we need.

        You and your immediate associates are so far ahead in your
        enthusiasm that you stand to lose some valuable support. I might say
        critical support, that can make a difference.

        We don't want to go on the Web or read the latest book. It is
        the basics that are needed to bring us up to speed.

        I appreciate that my comments show my short comings in gaining
        knowledge and in promoting this worthy cause.

        It is not my intention to dampen any of your enthusiasm.

        Andrew J. Fergus
      • Larry Whittington
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2006
          Andrew,

          I think what you are looking for is at http://www.fairtaxvolunteer.org/smart/faq.html .  There, you'll find straightforward questions and answers about FairTax.

          FairTax supporters are not necessarily learned or have a lot of computer expertise.  That's not required.  Straight thinking about taxes is the only thing that binds us all together.

          Writing letters is a good thing but isn't required to spread the word about FairTax.  Arm yourself with the information at the link above and talk to your friends.  Sharing that information with the people you know is the absolute best way to promote FairTax.

          Please let me know if I can provide anything else to help.

          Thanks.

          Larry
          (bit of a senior myself :)